Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acolyte rods ??

Default Acolyte rods ??

Have been thinking about these rods and been in a tackle shop for a look and wiggle and I like them all !

I want a float rod with a bit of power not for big carp no that's what i would use my avons for . But for tench fishing and got a trip to anglers paradise in the summer so would probally pick up smaller carp and koi ,orf etc .

I'm stuck between the 12ft carp waggler or the 13ft plus float rod .

The 12ft carp rod handles 7lb line and the 13ft plus is 6 lb .

Anyone had the experience to use both ?

Regards , matt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Acolyte rods ??

I use both of those acolytes and imo the 13ft plus rod is deffo the more powerfull of the two. I can't weigh up those upper line ratings to be honest as they don't make sense to me.

You are both being a bit too literal in your readings of the line ratings. The 12' Carp Waggler is 4 to 7lb+. The 13' Plus is 4 to 6lb+. The + could mean anything. The hooklength ratings on Drennan rods are usually a little less vague and may indicate the power of the rod better. However, simply reading line readings and rod descriptions/names is invariably a dodgy way to choose a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    You are both being a bit too literal in your readings of the line ratings. The 12' Carp Waggler is 4 to 7lb+. The 13' Plus is 4 to 6lb+. The + could mean anything. The hooklength ratings on Drennan rods are usually a little less vague and may indicate the power of the rod better. However, simply reading line readings and rod descriptions/names is invariably a dodgy way to choose a rod.
    I'm not going off what's printed on the rod Chris, i'm going off how it performs when playing fish. There's no doubt in my mind that the 13ft plus is a more powerfull rod.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I'm not going off what's printed on the rod Chris, i'm going off how it performs when playing fish. There's no doubt in my mind that the 13ft plus is a more powerfull rod.
    I know you have both, but you have said that you can't weigh up the upper line ratings. You've not included the magic "+" in your post. There is no upper limit on the mainline ratings because of it. A cop out by Drennan for using it, but the bare figures without it mean very little. Even with it included, it's a fairly open ended thing that's open to interpretation. Anything from 7lb 1oz or greater is both 6lb+ and 7lb+. There's nothing in the figures, with or without the "+", to suggest that one rod is more powerful than the other. Anyone that thinks there is, is taking the figures too literally.

Imo a rod should have a line rating that will snap before the rod does, so you can't make an error in how much pressure you put on it and cause it to snap.
    As you say, those ratings are bullshine and I don't get why when they do their tests with prototype rods they can't pinpoint an exact breaking strain that going to snap before the blank....surely it would be easy enough to do with the fancy machines they use!?

Blog Entries

I doubt there are any manufacturers with the bottle to put a realistic max line rating on their rods. Who's going to buy a rod with a max line rating of 3lb when you can buy one that says 6lb?

I can see i opened a can of worms here !

Forget the line ratings at the moment , most my float fishing for tench and comercial sized carp is done with 6lb so both rods will cope with the line , and I either fish straight through or a 4lb bottom .

But what are the differences between the 2 rods except the extra foot ? I see they seem to keep bending and bending and bending oh and perhaps more bending without breaking and I have heard people fishing a locked up clutch and just let the rod do the work . Not my method though , I play with a clutch or backwind .

Had another waggle of the 2 rods today when went to get my dad a birthday presant and even the chap in the shop couldn't tell me what the diffrence was .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=associatedmatt;1482740]I can see i opened a can of worms here !

Forget the line ratings at the moment , most my float fishing for tench and comercial sized carp is done with 6lb so both rods will cope with the line , and I either fish straight through or a 4lb bottom .

[Quote]

Not really, i've used both in the last fortnight and have given you my opinion.
    I used 6lb straight through, wether I used a gut bottom would be determined by the target species, venue etc.

Quote Originally Posted by associatedmatt View Post
    But what are the differences between the 2 rods except the extra foot ?

Had another waggle of the 2 rods today when went to get my dad a birthday presant and even the chap in the shop couldn't tell me what the diffrence was.
    Put it this way, when the 11 and 12' rods were first rumoured, I heard that they were going to be called Acolyte Pluses. At the time they came out there wasn't a lighter version of either. By the time they appeared in tackle shops, the 11 and 12' rods had "Acolyte Carp Waggler" on them. Since then Drennan have also released lighter 11 and 12' Acolytes that just happen to be labelled as Acolyte Ultras.

I don't have them all, so can't say for sure. However, if you pretend that the Acolyte Carp Waggler rods are just Acolyte Pluses with a different name, then there would be both Acolyte Ultras and Pluses from 11' right up to 15'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast