Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook Tier

Default Re: Hook Tier

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Matchman. Cannot see any problem with them. Used them for decades.
    Same here, I’ve been using them for tying hooks between sizes 22 and 14 for well over 40 years now so I’ve got used to using them.

As long as I keep my line taught and don’t overlap any of my turns and I use a little bit of spit to moisten the line as I tighten up I’ve never had any problems.

I’ve no doubt the Drennan ones are good but I’ve never needed to change from my Matchman hook tyer so I haven’t tried them.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-01-2019 at 17:06.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Matchman every time, never had any problems.

Another Matchman user, works well.

I find them all hard work to use,it's much faster and easy by hand.
    However I do keep one just in case my eye sight gets worse.

I have a matchman but never tried a drennan so cannot compare the two. Whichever you chose will become progressively easier the more you use it, chose either model and stick with that one.
    Thanks for the tips (everyone) about getting a better grip on the jaws, will try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    Whichever you chose will become progressively easier the more you use it, chose either model and stick with that one.

Exactly that. I have used both and it makes no difference. They both tie the same 2 knots in the same way.

Drennan pinched the design from someone else,because I used to use them(a maroon colour if I remember right),the matchman came out and I started using those,since then I made two out of aluminium and brass(access to a lathe,taps,dies etc helped),these have lasted me over twenty years with no issues...

8. Default Re: Hook Tier

Matchman for me as well.

I’ve used the Matchman since it first appeared. In fact, it wasn’t until 5 minutes ago that I even knew what the Drennan looks like !

After reading the posta on this thread I bought a Matchman last week. Out yesterday and lost a few hooks to snags while trotting, the Matchman made life so much simpler than my usual hand tie method.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast