Hook Tier

sam vimes

Reaction score
It rather depends on what you get used to. I used to use the Matchman tenty plus years ago, but now have had Drennans scattered through all my different boxes for many years.

In the last few years I gave a Stonfo a go, it's essentially a posh Matchman. Too many years of using Drennans meant that I found it more difficult to use. I've little doubt that anyone that's used a Matchman for years might struggle with a Drennan.

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve got a matchman but I think the jaws could be better hooks seem to slip around even when I think I’ve got them real tight. Not like I’ve used it loads probably 70-80 hooks tied with it

trotter2

Reaction score
Glue a tiny piece of 400 grit wet and dry paper on each side of the jaw. It will grip the hook better.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've use the Matchman type since they came out, although I tried Drennan and Stonfo because.... they were there.

I've found they grip fine. One very old one wore out and couldn't be tightened down, and if you tie hooks in bigger sizes/ with longer shanks, you can find, if you don't take a bit of care, you can pull the hook from side to side when winding the line round the shank. That aside, they've been a brilliant aid and I don't look any further.

rayner

Reaction score
I use a matchman, I have altered it by adding a small piece of fabric sticking plaster to both sides to prevent the hook from slipping. It also helps to not tighten it too much, over tightening can force the plastic to crack.

john step

Reaction score
Matchman. Cannot see any problem with them. Used them for decades.

Keith M

Reaction score
Matchman. Cannot see any problem with them. Used them for decades.

Same here, I’ve been using them for tying hooks between sizes 22 and 14 for well over 40 years now so I’ve got used to using them.

As long as I keep my line taught and don’t overlap any of my turns and I use a little bit of spit to moisten the line as I tighten up I’ve never had any problems.

I’ve no doubt the Drennan ones are good but I’ve never needed to change from my Matchman hook tyer so I haven’t tried them.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I find them all hard work to use,it's much faster and easy by hand.
However I do keep one just in case my eye sight gets worse.

Molehill

Reaction score
I have a matchman but never tried a drennan so cannot compare the two. Whichever you chose will become progressively easier the more you use it, chose either model and stick with that one.
Thanks for the tips (everyone) about getting a better grip on the jaws, will try them.

Richox12

Reaction score
Whichever you chose will become progressively easier the more you use it, chose either model and stick with that one.

Exactly that. I have used both and it makes no difference. They both tie the same 2 knots in the same way.

Reaction score
Drennan pinched the design from someone else,because I used to use them(a maroon colour if I remember right),the matchman came out and I started using those,since then I made two out of aluminium and brass(access to a lathe,taps,dies etc helped),these have lasted me over twenty years with no issues...

Brianw999

Reaction score
I’ve used the Matchman since it first appeared. In fact, it wasn’t until 5 minutes ago that I even knew what the Drennan looks like !

tinca49

Reaction score
After reading the posta on this thread I bought a Matchman last week. Out yesterday and lost a few hooks to snags while trotting, the Matchman made life so much simpler than my usual hand tie method.