Natural venue, gravel pit

Mrnab

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking at targeting bream on my local 47 pit, as there's not much carp in there the boilie/pellet approach isn't really used. So i was thinking of using red maggots and corn for hookbaits. I'm just not sure on what groundbait to use, was thinking of a brown crumb mixed with sweet mix with some freebies mixed in.

Reaction score
That will probably work ok,but don't neglect micro pellets,bream love them.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Your sweet Fishmeal gb and brown crumb idea is spot on. Personally I wouldn't add any free offerings, the gb is enough to attract bream, why give them anything else to eat but your hookbait? The idea is to catch them not to feed them....

Mrnab

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, guess ill try the approaching with no freebies. Any suggestions on which groundbait to use?

Another thing is the weather is around 6°c on Friday, do you still think its worth targeting them?

Last edited:

Mrnab

Reaction score
Going down the tackle shop tomorrow i'll keep an eye out for it, i actually have around 2 - 3kg white breadcrumb i made not so long ago think i'll get way with using a kilo or so that mixed in?

peterjg

Reaction score
Yes, bream love molasses. It darkens ground bait but leaches out on the lake bed leaving the groundbait its original colour.