Mini throwing stick.

caught any mate

Reaction score
Hello all,has anyone used these for pellet waggler,I think it might be easier to feed whilst playing a fish,rather than struggle(in my case)with a catty.Thanks in advance.

Keith M

Reaction score
I made a small throwing stick from the butt section of an old Sigma Match rod. It’s approx 18” to 20” long and includes about 6” of the cork handle at one end for holding and has a 40 degree cut at the other. It also has a wine cork inserted about 2” to 3” from the end.

Because it is basically just a straight tube It can’t throw maggots or particles much further than around 15 or 16 mtrs accurately so it’s range is fairly limited but it is very easy to use one handed whilst holding a rod in the other hand and will deliver a small compact group of baits to around 15 metres with a fair amount of accuracy.

Keith

Last edited:

caught any mate

Reaction score
Thanks keith,Iv'e an old rod kicking around in the shed,I'll make one tomorrow. I've seen them on amazon,about £8.00,but I'm a tight git.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found a solution that works perfectly for me.

As some may know I spend a good few summer days Rudd fishing on an enormous lake which has huge shoals that come and go in various swims, when you get them you want to keep them there as long as possble and the pellet waggler method whether with a whip or rod and line if the carp move in can provide tremendous sport.

Like the op I’m hopeless with a catty and it took me a while but eventually found the perfect tool for the job, a plastic scoop.

2Pxssos.jpg

I place a bait bucket in front of me tilted at a 45 degree angle and fill it with pellets, I can then scoop out as many or little pellets one handed whilst still fishing with the other hand. I can get good distance and accuracy.

I was given a tip by a local, start off by throwing in a scoop of gravel off the ground instead of pellets, theory being, the increased splash as the gravel lands attracts the Rudd from far away, I do believe it works!

caught any mate

Reaction score
fishing on waters with a lot of angling pressure,I need to scale down to get bites,this often means playing a fish a little longer than normal,by feeding at the same time I can reduce the risk of another angler nicking the fish in front of me,or simply the fish drifting out of my swim...hope this helps.

caught any mate

Reaction score
yes I've heard of this too,one guy I know sits on his box shooting a giant water pistol at his float,creating as much noise as he can,but with little or no feed.Thanks for the advice,it's a good solution to my problem,just concerned about distance.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes I've heard of this too,one guy I know sits on his box shooting a giant water pistol at his float,creating as much noise as he can,but with little or no feed.Thanks for the advice,it's a good solution to my problem,just concerned about distance.

It’s all in the flick of the wrist!

ben cook

Reaction score
20mm black conduit from B&Q, about £3 for 3m. Cut to desired length with a junior hacksaw. Make the cut at a 45 degree angle. Heat the plastic gently with a hair dryer and you can manipulate the tube into a bend, throwing stick shape. Stick a Cork or tape the other end and your done.

Keith M

Reaction score
maybe I'm missing something, but why would you need to feed the swim during mid-fight?

Because by doing so you can sometimes keep the shoal of fish feeding while you are bringing a fish in by continuing to feed the others while you are bringing a fish in and unhooking it.

When you have the fish in your swim queing up off bottom for your loose feed and you suddenly stop feeding them, the fish can often wander off and sink out of sight and this could sometimes cost you a match.

Keith

Last edited: