Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  62
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    You say 'not cheap' and perhaps that's the reason why and just how effective is the method when dealing with fats etc. amongst all the other chemicals. I'd like to remind you that this company mentioned is already investing £billions in the super sewer in London and spent £3m on an eel screen in front of their water intakes at Walton that serves a third of the population of London and part of a £30m investment across the network. So they're not afraid of investing money where it's needed and justified.
    They're not scared of spending money, you gott'a be kiddin' Jeff .
    Then again, they arn't scared of spending it, they just don't want to spend it and take anything outt'a their precious banks accounts!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,529
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    You say 'not cheap' and perhaps that's the reason why and just how effective is the method when dealing with fats etc. amongst all the other chemicals. I'd like to remind you that this company mentioned is already investing £billions in the super sewer in London and spent £3m on an eel screen in front of their water intakes at Walton that serves a third of the population of London and part of a £30m investment across the network. So they're not afraid of investing money where it's needed and justified.
    Are you the unofficial/official mouthpiece for TW now?
    So what that they have invested 1 billion in a Super Sewer, that's their business to do that. Return "Cleaned Water" back to the Themes to a regulated Standard! Clearly they were failing in that matter else it wouldn't have cost them 20 million quid in Crown Court fines for the second time of a major pollution. That released millions of gallons of raw untreated sewage past the noses of the MPs/Government, would it!
    The TW bean counters must have looked at the potential fine numbers and come to the conclusion, better we invest some of out vast profits in stopping the pollution we've been getting away with for years. As the fines are moving to the true meaning of Unlimited by the courts. Therefore from a cost benefit analysis point of view, we will reach a point when we would be forced into it financially. And that reputationally speaking would wash off all the Greenwash we've spent years painting on.

    Fats etc would have no more impacts than they do now as it End of Pipe Technology. ACF is carried out as the last process in the chain before the water is returned back as river water.

    Likewise Graphene Mesh (not mess as typoed) Screening for micro plastics is also end of pipe techno as well.....last in the chain!

    WCs will get away with whatever they can if the regulators fail to regulate them and as far as EDSs and micro plastics are concerned they are in my view.
    Ask yourself the question why do all WCs pay millions of quid in lobbyist fees to lobbyist companies per year.

    And to correct you on something you stated a few posts back about sewage sludge being spread on farmland. Whilst true it can be used, there are very tight regulation on its use. And only 2 Applications per field are allowed due to the toxic/heavy metals nature of the sludge.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Subtropical Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    24,519
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    Are you the unofficial/official mouthpiece for TW now?
    NO! I do work with them in the interests of improving the environment, not for them; I don't get one penny!

    I just think that a lot of people with, if you don't mind me saying so, 'left-wing ideas' criticise these privately owned companies now and it is totally unjustified. Despite fines (pollutions will continue because of breakdowns just as cars with new parts can breakdown on the roads) they are producing much better quality results and have more care for the environment than the previous government owned version of water companies ever did.

    If you want to go back to a standard where these businesses didn't care at all, then by all means bring the present left into Government and see what transpires. Heaven help us! The profits that TW and others make are not that unreasonable considering the size of the company and many customers it supports.

    Apologies to the thread for it being dragged aside. That's the last on this!
    Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 30-01-2019 at 14:30.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

  4. #54

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    NO! I do work with them in the interests of improving the environment, not for them; I don't get one penny!

    I just think that a lot of people with, if you don't mind me saying so, 'left-wing ideas' criticise these privately owned companies now and it is totally unjustified. Despite fines (pollutions will continue because of breakdowns just as cars with new parts can breakdown on the roads) they are producing much better quality results and have more care for the environment than the previous government owned version of water companies ever did.

    If you want to go back to a standard where these businesses didn't care at all, then by all means bring the present left into Government and see what transpires. Heaven help us! The profits that TW and others make are not that unreasonable considering the size of the company and many customers it supports.

    Apologies to the thread for it being dragged aside. That's the last on this!


    I don't think it would matter what anyone put infront of you Jeff....for some (unknown to us) reason your definately on their side Jeff.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Subtropical Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    24,519
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I don't think it would matter what anyone put infront of you Jeff....for some (unknown to us) reason your definately on their side Jeff.
    Quite true because I find out things that otherwise go unpublished. However, when they are in the wrong I do not hesitate tell them, but they know that already.

    Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer!!!
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

  6. #56

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    I believe that several of our water companies are owned by overseas businesses - are their priorities our environment or their profits. Water is our most important resource, the water companies should be nationalised - clean water and enough of it is beyond profit.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Certainly, the malaise of the lower Derwent will have a lot of factors. When an angler is trying to make sense of it, it's likely they don't have much wool to knit with, aside from circumstantial evidence, like changes to water treatment plants etc. Grayling have definitely moved down the river - we're catching them in the last mile of the river, well below the deep, slow sections below Derby - and the small size shows successful recent spawning, and they may well be profiting from the "gaps" left by the absent coarse fish.

    Another odd thing, at least it appears odd, is the state of the Derwent relative to the Trent it runs into. There was a time when both were out of sorts for a few years and offered poor fishing. In recent years, the Derwent has continued to decline while the Trent above and below the confluence has been improving all the time. You might think, given that the Trent is exposed as much or even more to the kinds of issues that affect the health of rivers, that they would be equally affected or the Trent relatively worse, but it's the other way around.
    Even as an outsider on the trent I know it's had a shed loads of fish tipped into it. Possibly more than any other river in the county. So do we really know how healthy it is?

    May be it is best if some rivers get polluted because they need the EA fish stockings that go with it to survive as they just couldnt do it on their own.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,529
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    NO! I do work with them in the interests of improving the environment, not for them; I don't get one penny!

    I just think that a lot of people with, if you don't mind me saying so, 'left-wing ideas' criticise these privately owned companies now and it is totally unjustified. Despite fines (pollutions will continue because of breakdowns just as cars with new parts can breakdown on the roads) they are producing much better quality results and have more care for the environment than the previous government owned version of water companies ever did.

    If you want to go back to a standard where these businesses didn't care at all, then by all means bring the present left into Government and see what transpires. Heaven help us! The profits that TW and others make are not that unreasonable considering the size of the company and many customers it supports.

    Apologies to the thread for it being dragged aside. That's the last on this!
    Nah, nah, nah, you don't get off that easy with... all these lefty loonies picking on those well caring Multinational Cos garbage. They have never introduced of their own volition higher Environmental Standard than the regulators have placed on them.
    Now that would be the mark of an ethical caring company rather than a company throwing Greenwash all over the place.
    As to the last lot, pre privatisation, and comparing that to today envo regs, is like comparing applies with spuds. Much of what today is know, wasn't even known about then, least invented in a lot of cases.

    No Jeff, it's not about "lefty policies" towards Multi National Cos, it's about making sure that we pass on to future generations a better, healthier, sustainable, environment than the one we got given! And if those Cos can't or wont see that, then they deserve all the sh1t that falls on them from whatever quarter.. left, right or centreand I'll back them all.

    Now here's a little tester for you Jeff, in 2 months time well be free from all those hated pesky EU envo regs. Free to make our own vastly superior regs. Lets see if your friends 1) start to lobby for them or 2) lobby for vastly weaker one.

    We can both start to hold our breath on leaving day and see who bursts first. I'll even go into this with a handicap of 1 and 2/3 lung to your 2. But I must warn you despite the handicap I'm pretty confident that the multi million pound lobbyists, will be lobbying on behalf of their clients those much maligned nice Multi National Water Companies, for weaker regulations.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    3,696

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    I agree with Badone on that, there is only one type of water, preferably clean and non-polluted. We dont get choices of types of water and decide which one to buy or do without it like a motor car or a packet of biscuits. Capitalism is great for producing multi choices with better cars and better biscuits but water! Would it be better if all the money we spent on water was ploughed back into making just the one cleaner water for all of us and start at the source, non polluted rivers, nothing to do with being left or right just money going abroad or in some individual pockets could be better spent where our water is concerned. The EA could make better use of it.
    Last edited by markg; 31-01-2019 at 04:46.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,529
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The Environment Agency....

    Oh dear, I bet your mates Jeff forgot to tell you that OFWAT have knocked back their Business Plan for 019-025. Telling them it needs substantially rework for it to have any chance of getting past them the regulator.
    Some solace for you though, as they were not on their own, two other companies were in the OFWAT jail with them. 8 other were told to do Community Service on their plans. And only 3 were not guilty of anything over their plans.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •