Spliced tips

barbelboi

Reaction score
I sold any spliced tip rods and stuck with hollow tipped rods which imo have every bit or even more of a fast action and I don't have any problems bumping fish or hooking fast bites, evwn at long range. Since most of my fishing is trotting a float I only have the best tools for the job, again, imo that's a hollow tipped rod

Couldn't have put it much better myself Ian (apart from the typo that is;))

nottskev

Reaction score
In Gulliver's Travels the big-enders are at war with the little-enders over which end of the boiled egg you should open. It's about what rods you like - in my case, both types - not which rods are "best" as that's a question you can't answer by repeating which you favour.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In Gulliver's Travels the big-enders are at war with the little-enders over which end of the boiled egg you should open. It's about what rods you like - in my case, both types - not which rods are "best" as that's a question you can't answer by repeating which you favour.

I know which is best for me, at least out of the rods i've used. Just so happens my preference is for a hollow tipped waggler with a fast action.

A chick comes out the big end ;).

Last edited:

Bedalerover

Reaction score
I have always used spliced tip rods
I use 2 30 year old Dave Harrell Harrison rods and they are fantastic I also still have a Shakespeare superteam sliced rod

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have always used spliced tip rods
I use 2 30 year old Dave Harrell Harrison rods and they are fantastic I also still have a Shakespeare superteam sliced rod

The superteam sliced rod was ok but I prefer sliced bread myself :wh.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have an immaculate (virtually unused) Bruce and Walker 12ft XLT match rod. It is carbon and has a spliced tip, there is the original rod bag and the two rubber bungs.
How old is it? Is anyone interested in buying it?

nottskev

Reaction score
I think it's the model I bought in 1982/3. That one was a 13' and a very good-looking rod - jet black with black whippings and details in gold on the butt. It was a little heavy-actioned for the fishing I did, and I swapped it for a Shakespeare Mach 2 Boron with a bloke who answered the For Sale ad I put in Angling Times. I paid over £100 for it. I wish I'd kept it, but in those days a spare rod was a luxury, and I had to sell one to get another. Bruce and Walker make classy rods, and I'm sure you'll get a decent price for it.

flightliner

Reaction score
It's noted that you said offered rather than bought. :D
It was basically sound and tbh At one time I would have had it for a renovation project, re ringed, a spin on a lathe to "re new" the full cork butt to complete the job but my old eyes and fingers told me to hold back ,but it was still a temptation having seen one done before.
I'm going down to peruse the guys premises in a minute-- anyone looking in want me to keep an eye out for any particular rod while there, now or otherwise??

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any centrepins let me know what they are.....;).

flightliner

Reaction score
Any centrepins let me know what they are.....;).
Ian, will do but tbh I don't recollect ever seeing any, I did notice tho that he had a few cheaper end fixed spool reels and an old Abu closed face job but giving it a turn it was pretty well clapped out.
Oh, just a thought-- (wink wink) all this stuff is garnered from elderly ex Fenland/Trent South Yorkshire anglers that never did "slow" :wh lol!

Last edited: