Spliced tips

dalesman

Reaction score
Been fishing with old school mate and I used his old Diawa rod with spliced tip and really enjoyed trotting with it, not used one since glass fibre and the early days of carbon.

Other than Browning who makes a spliced tip rods, tricast?.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Current models that I'm aware of are the Browning Spheres, Tri-Cast John Allerton Premiers and the odd custom built on Harrison blanks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Older, but still excellent spliced tip rods come up quite often on evilbay and even the higher end ones arn't usually too expensive.
Personally I see no benefit of having a spliced tip and find modern waggler rods to be better. I know Chris likes them and I don't want to upset him, so that's jmo of course lol.

nottskev

Reaction score
I wouldn't use one for big fish or long trotting, but if you're catching roach and the smaller species 10 -20m down your swim, I find them a treat to use. I'm still using an old Tri-cast Finesse; they crop up on ebay from time to time.

flightliner

Reaction score
Rolled tips are fine but if one Suffers a break within the normal range of a spliced tip length and the model is out of production it's possible that it may be unrepairable/ irreplaceable .
A spliced tip that suffers in a similar way is fairly straightforward to rectify.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Personally I see no benefit of having a spliced tip and find modern waggler rods to be better.

Me neither - the only reason that spliced tips were used is, until the time Normark introduced the technology, the manufactures were unable to produce tips thin enough from hollow carbon.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
One of the several Normarks I have is a 13ft NMB-156-3S with silver collars on the spigots. I understand it dates from the 1980's and is a forerunner of their Noboron range (gold collars). I also understand the "S" indicates a spliced tip.

I've yet to use this one as it needs a bit of tlc but if it's anything like the other Normarks I have, it'll be very good indeed!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wouldn't use one for big fish or long trotting, but if you're catching roach and the smaller species 10 -20m down your swim, I find them a treat to use. I'm still using an old Tri-cast Finesse; they crop up on ebay from time to time.

It rather depends on the rod in question. Few assume that all hollow tipped rods are identical, but most seem to believe that every spliced tip rod will be the same as the one/few that they've used or encountered. I've used a spliced tip rod routinely for long trotting. I also had a day on the Trent last year with one where five or six barbel showed up. The rod in question coped far better than I expected it to. So much so that I'd have no qualms in using it specifically for barbel in the future.

Not all spliced tip rods are equal, and at least some of them out there aren't particularly good. See you all later, I'm off to the river with just a couple of spliced tip rods for company.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It rather depends on the rod in question. Few assume that all hollow tipped rods are identical, but most seem to believe that every spliced tip rod will be the same as the one/few that they've used or encountered. I've used a spliced tip rod routinely for long trotting. I also had a day on the Trent last year with one where five or six barbel showed up. The rod in question coped far better than I expected it to. So much so that I'd have no qualms in using it specifically for barbel in the future.

Not all spliced tip rods are equal, and at least some of them out there aren't particularly good. See you all later, I'm off to the river with just a couple of spliced tip rods for company.

I would imagine the browning rod you have is as good as a spliced tip float rod has got, but in all honesty do you think it gives any advantage over a hollow tip rod?
I've never used one of the ultra modern spliced tip rods like yours so in reality I can't say one way or another. I do know the few models i've held and used just didn't feel as good as my hollow tipped rods, and a couple of them where top totty in their era. I can't imagine a spliced tip doing anything better than a hollow tip rod though?

nottskev

Reaction score
I take the point that spliced tip rods are not all the same, any more than hollow tip rods are. I was just commenting on where the one I happen to like best excels. Whatever the history - finer hollow tip rods became possible etc - the fact remains that some of the spliced tip rods have a distinctive feel and action, and work perfectly for some jobs. I've a bunch of fine hollow tipped float rods - but I still like the spliced tip for some occasions. Another of those " a matter of taste" things. Since I had nothing better to do - although I'm hoping to get out tomorrow - I just weighed up the tip section on my old Tri-cast against the tip section from their latest model, and the new one is indeed far beefier than the old, which wouldn't be out of place on a canal rod.

rob48

Reaction score
I enjoy using the Sphere spliced-tips, both 13.5 and 15.5', they're so much quicker on the strike without having to impart excessive force on fast or shy biting fish like roach and dace. They'll pick up line over a fair distance too.
Decent second-hand models that come up occasionally are the Shimano Triple-X ST and Twin-Power ST.

Reaction score
The Normark Norboron had a spliced tip,it was a brilliant big fish rod,as was the shimano triple X spliced tip,had plenty of barbel on those and good chub,both dated bits of kit today,but I wish i still had both of them today...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I enjoy using the Sphere spliced-tips, both 13.5 and 15.5', they're so much quicker on the strike without having to impart excessive force on fast or shy biting fish like roach and dace. They'll pick up line over a fair distance too.
Decent second-hand models that come up occasionally are the Shimano Triple-X ST and Twin-Power ST.

Would you say your sphere is a faster action than a acolyte plus?

rob48

Reaction score
I haven't got a Plus but do have the 14' Ultra and the Spheres definitely seem quicker on line pick up and striking. I think that's probably because they seem stiffer in the middle, although they do bend with a decent chub on the hook. Can't comment on the Plus I'm afraid.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't got a Plus but do have the 14' Ultra and the Spheres definitely seem quicker on line pick up and striking. I think that's probably because they seem stiffer in the middle, although they do bend with a decent chub on the hook. Can't comment on the Plus I'm afraid.

Oh reet, I don't own a ultra but have handled a few and they are a softer rod than the plus.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would imagine the browning rod you have is as good as a spliced tip float rod has got, but in all honesty do you think it gives any advantage over a hollow tip rod?
I've never used one of the ultra modern spliced tip rods like yours so in reality I can't say one way or another. I do know the few models i've held and used just didn't feel as good as my hollow tipped rods, and a couple of them where top totty in their era. I can't imagine a spliced tip doing anything better than a hollow tip rod though?

I'm getting a horrible feeling of deja vue, I'm sure we've had this conversation before!

With absolute honesty, yes, I do believe the right spliced tip rod still offers an advantage over any hollow tip rod I've used, for certain applications. I wouldn't bother with the expense if I didn't think they offered something more. A good spliced tip rod is still my genuine preference for trotting and really light waggler work. However, a rod for the latter will have a drastically different action to a trotting rod, even if it does have a spliced tip.

You know that I have two types of modern spliced tip trotting rod. One I absolutely love, the other I'm far less enamoured with. However, I know plenty of folks that think the one I'm not keen on is a fantastic rod. That's probably down to fishing rather different types of river.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual's style of fishing. Although there's a lot of common ground with us, your striking technique is miles away from mine. I want to be able to do little more than roll my wrist to strike, even at range. The right spliced tip rod allows me to do this. The first spliced tip rod I bought was the best part of thirty years ago. My style of trotting and striking has become ingrained in all that time. I don't really want to adapt to a more through actioned rod (or at least a less fast actioned rod). You've developed a style to suit the rods you favour, and it's a lot more of a sweep to your strikes than I'm comfortable with when trotting. I very much doubt that you'd be comfortable adapting your ingrained ways to a spliced tip rod. You like the MK2 Normarks for trotting. I love them for the waggler, on still or flowing water, but I don't use them for trotting.

I've made do with some faster actioned hollow tip rods over the years. Some I've really liked, but until the Acolyte Ultras came along, there was nothing fast actioned yet mellow enough for much of my trotting. Most hollow tipped fast action rods are not really intended as out and out trotting rods, and to me it shows. The Spheres knock the Acolytes into the weeds. They've got the all of the better Acolyte attributes plus a faster action that I prefer, without ending up as pokers. On top of that, much to my surprise, I don't feel the need for a beefier version of the Spheres. It's more versatile in that respect than I imagined.

flightliner

Reaction score
Excuse the aside here but I know a guy with a Normark Titan 2000 for sale in mint condition.
Anyone interested pm me and I will make enquiries on your behalf.
A warning tho --- he's asking for top money but I think a near offer may secure it .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Without doubt. Faster actioned, but not necessarily any more powerful.

Maybe i'll get to see one eventually. After hearing what you have to say about them I addmitt to being intrigued.
As you know i'm a fan of fast actioned rods and I haven't come across a faster actioned rod than the acolyte or the rs tournament rods. If I ever do get to handle a sphere and it feels faster than those rods then there's no doubt I would get one.

dalesman

Reaction score
The reason I raised this question is because I was on the Wear just north of Durham with my mate. I had my Drennan 14' acolyte plus with me and was missing a lot Dace bites. I knew my mate had a old Diawa 13'` spliced tip rod in his rod bag so borrowed it and started hitting the bites.