Fishing attire

mikench

Reaction score
We have all bought clothing for going fishing ie waterproofs, bibs and braces, warm hats etc! How many of us wear camouflage to be able to creep up to the bank and surprise unwary fish! I don't and I thus wonder if I'm missing a trick!

Do you think this would help?:rolleyes:

Mil-Tec Ghillie Suit 4 pcs. Digital Desert

wetthrough

Reaction score
ROFLMAO I definitely need something going from recent performance but I draw the line at that!

seth49

Reaction score
That one would be a bit over the top, but I do wear a camouflage suit I bought when I used to shoot air rifles a lot, it’s ok when it’s to warm for my Korum suit, might as well use it, and it is comfortable to wear and quiet.

Don’t think it matters to the fish, movement or noise seems to spook them more than what your wearing.

trotter2

Reaction score
I fish in a army camo jacket have done for years. There was a very well known match angler who fished in a bright red shell suit he was a very good angler and had much success.
From my own experience it could make a difference but if it does it's very slight. Try to avoid fast movements and if you can I think that's far more important imo.

rich66

Reaction score
I’d go for the woodland one if I was you.
Don’t for get your mallet though to bang those bank sticks in.

mikench

Reaction score
when I used to shoot air rifles a lot

I shot air rifles for a while, HFT mainly but some vermin control and I recall vividly the face of the late Tony Tyrer of Bolton AGS when I turned up in a red gilet!!! A camo ex army jacket soon followed !Those rabbits were deadly!:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
Fishing is just one of a few recreational activities some people like to dress up for :wh

There are numerous tribes a person can join: the camouflage brigade, the colourful branded match team uniform (with accessories to match the jacket), the Edwardian gentleman look (think Chris Yates)...... It's all part of the fun for some. Someone on here recently pointed to the emergence of a "look" popular with the "new" lure anglers.

Myself, I go fishing in clothes that are sober and unobtrusive. And plenty of them at the moment. That seems to be a fairly common choice.

Do the fish care? I definitely try to avoid skylining my peg or announcing my presence by stomping around, dropping gear on the ground etc. What you wear - or even do - matters differently on different kinds of water, I think. Feedering across a wide deep river gives you more scope to dress or act as you want than stalking wary chub on a little stream. And so on.

bracket

Reaction score
When I use to fish on "The Steps" (Trent Embankment) as a callow youth the standard attire for most was : Tee Shirt, Trainers and ten fags. Worked right enough. Pete

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The question of clothing crops up from time to time and I am always minded of a chap who used to post here regularly who once wrote the best ever "typo"

He wrote . . . .

"practice to be quiet and wear drag clothing". . . .

(he meant "drab") but he never lived that one down lol

flightliner

Reaction score
A bit ott for me Mike but normally I'm in army trews with jogging bottoms beneath with most any amount of fleece's on top If it rains, snows etc I keep an army goretex coat handy.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
You must have been well off Pete 10 fags.
Never was a smoker,packet of midget gems did me....

mikench

Reaction score
Same for me Mick! I thought you had typed ITT as in Cousin Itt of The Adams Family fame!! I'd look just like Cousin Itt in that!!

Keith M

Reaction score
When I and several of my mates volunteered for two weeks of survival training in the middle of the Malayan Jungle during a monsoon period; (Back in the early 70s when serving in the Royal Navy); we sometimes had a strange feeling that we were not alone, but we never saw a thing; and on returning to civilisation afterwards we were told that the Ghurkas who were doing jungle warfare training a few miles away were using us to practice their stalking skills and that we were often surrounded by them; and we never saw or heard a thing in the whole 2 weeks.

Maybe they were using camouflage clothing similar to the ones shown at the start of this thread, I don’t know, but they certainly know how to melt into their background.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It would have been very hot in the jungle in one of those suits!! You could have smelled me coming Keith!!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
As herons have evolved over millions of years to a grey/blue sort of colour that does fine for me - also I make a point of not letting the fish in the river know I'm there..................

sam vimes

Reaction score
I shot air rifles for a while, HFT mainly but some vermin control and I recall vividly the face of the late Tony Tyrer of Bolton AGS when I turned up in a red gilet!!! A camo ex army jacket soon followed !Those rabbits were deadly!:rolleyes:

Those vicious metal rabbits that jumped on the unwary?;)
Tony was an interesting character. I shot the odd comp at Rivington. Am I right in thinking that he's no longer with us?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't wear military cammo. In a part of the world close to Catterick Garrison, some folks, both civilian and military, can have rather interesting attitudes to those that do wear it.

However, I do have plenty of civilian and military cammo still from my shooting and service days. I don't use either for shooting or fishing. I long ago proved to my own satisfaction that bog standard drab clothing, being still, and not stomping about, is quite adequate for both shooting and fishing.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Someone on here recently pointed to the emergence of a "look" popular with the "new" lure anglers.

There was an episode of "On the Bank" i saw on tv a few weeks ago. Baseball capped pulled down low, polarised shades and some sort of scarf round the mouth. It struck fear into my heart, speaking as a shopkeeper, wasn't sure if they were going to shoplift or have a go at holding up the till. Definitely gonna give it a go in the summer though!

nottskev

Reaction score
There was an episode of "On the Bank" i saw on tv a few weeks ago. Baseball capped pulled down low, polarised shades and some sort of scarf round the mouth. It struck fear into my heart, speaking as a shopkeeper, wasn't sure if they were going to shoplift or have a go at holding up the till. Definitely gonna give it a go in the summer though!

Yep - that's the look. You sat through an episode of On the Bank? Phew! I tried and failed a couple of times. The programmes consisted of filming a carp match, showing carp after carp being weighed and telling you how that one affected the leader board. What the anglers were doing and why might well have been interesting, but they skipped that in favour of the changing scoreboard.

mikench

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that he's no longer with us?

Sadly Sam he died about 7 years or so ago! He suffered from Parkinson's which deteriorated! I was always amazed how someone with Parkinson's could accurately load and shoot an air rifle, calibrate a scope and make a stock! My Daystate has a thumbhole stock made by Tony!