Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  51
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! I need a new reel for light waggler fishing.

A reel doesn’t have to be big to have a larger diameter shallow spool, just having a larger diameter spool with a smaller body (like some reels used to be) would be fine for me.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-02-2019 at 18:42.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    W

Skip Ive just sent a Diawa Ninja 2500 LT back because it’s a tiny reel with very small diameter spools; although the Ninja 3000 & 4000 versions that I’ve seen in my local shop are a little larger, but a tad deeper than what Im really looking for.

I might end up trying the spool reducers to fit the Stradic 4000 reel which I already have. Or making a spool reducer myself for one of the slightly larger Diawa Ninjas using some electrical tape, Thx.

Keith
    The spool reducers for the Stradic Ci4+ RA or Super GT RD will not fit the vast majority of other Shimano reels. The spools on them are a different diameter.
    If you can cope with rear drag, have a look at the Super GT2500RD. Not as light as the Stradic, but not as expensive either.

I am more than happy with my Drennan series 7 float fish reel. It comes with 3 spools with no need to pad out as they are shallow purposely to take minimum line. ICant recall exactly now without going outside but I think about a 100 yds fill them up.
    Its a great little reel.

Can't think of a quality reel with shallow spools however a tdr would definitely be on my wish list .

What is the problem with backing out a deep spool when laying thin line over the top ??? It's what I do and once done never needs touching. Just wind the backing relatively tight and cover with electrical tape (as it can be stretched and tightened very well). Doesn't affect the line on top whatsoever. In fact, you can get better line lay if the reel is not perfect as the backing can be adjusted/wound by hand a few turns to make sure front & back fill properly.

Daiwa 1657DM similar action to the Mitchell Match except you can close the bail arm manually if required, shallow spools, had one for around 30 years and had no problems. try fishermans friend tackle, they have them in at around 80.

I acquired 3 Mitchell Matches, a 300, a 410 and a ultra high speed Match, the 840, a week ago for £20 the lot (inc. 10 spools) . Spent a week fettling them and just off to try out the 840, first time I've fished with one for 40 years. Better than the Daiwa 1657 as the line spooling is better and the bale can be closed manually if you know how.

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    Can't think of a quality reel with shallow spools however a tdr would definitely be on my wish list .
    There is one and it’s quite old but a few do turn up on Ebay occasionally, the Shimano Rarenium 3000, same as 2500 but with a shallow spool but as already stated no problem with a deeper spool, just back it. It’s a lovely reel, I’m becoming a bit of a collector of them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I acquired 3 Mitchell Matches, a 300, a 410 and a ultra high speed Match, the 840, a week ago for £20 the lot (inc. 10 spools) . Spent a week fettling them and just off to try out the 840, first time I've fished with one for 40 years. Better than the Daiwa 1657 as the line spooling is better and the bale can be closed manually if you know how.
    I keep meaning to try my old Mitchell Match 840 which I don’t think I’ve used since the early 90’s, it’s still in a fairly good condition and I have lots of spare spools for it.

I think I will give it a try to see if it’s as good as I remember it being; thanks Mark.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-02-2019 at 18:24. Reason: Changed reel model from 410 to 840
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

This Maver Tica is not a “modern” reel as it doesn’t have instant anti-reverse, but it does have wide, shallow spools, a good drag and a one-touch folding handle.

Currently to be had as “old stock” for £29 from my friendly, local tackle dealer (not a chain or superstore)

I fish waggler with it all the time and love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images Help! I need a new reel for light waggler fishing.-217b5d9c-3a5d-4e3f-b888-ff38b3f7dac3.jpeg 

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast