Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  67
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Help! I need a new reel for light waggler fishing.

Currently I’m using a Drennan FD4000 front drag reel for my light waggler fishing, but I’m getting a bit fed up with it constantly spilling line too easily and getting the odd loose line loops appearing when winding my float in.
    This doesn’t always happen but just enough to make it annoying, so I’m looking to replace it. If it didn’t do this it would be fine.

I very recently ordered a Diawa Ninja 2500 reel but sent it back because the spools were quite small in diameter and I’m looking for a reel with slightly larger diameter spools; although the Ninja 3000 & 4000 reels do look like they might have slightly larger diameter spools, but the spools are a little too deep for using approx 100 to 150 metres of 2lb to 4lb lines (I would prefer it not to need any backing line at all if I’m using lighter lines).

Can anyone on here advise me of a decent modern float reel that has largish diameter shallow spools that will take no more than 100 mtrs of 4lb line? And which doesn’t suffer from excessive line spill? and costing no more than around £80 if possible?

I have a Shimano stradic 4000S GTM-RC but this feels slightly too big for using with the finer reel lines, plus I have a couple of old Team Diawa S2553 reels but they have the smaller diameter spools. If I can’t find a decent float reel I will probably be forced to go back to using my old Mitchell Match reel

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-02-2019 at 18:38.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Help! I need a new reel for light waggler fishing.

Daiwa Ninja...just ignore the stupid name. Great little reel and not that pricey.

Shimano stradic c14 4000 RA ! It comes with a spare spool has spool reducers and only weighs 310g. It also has fighting drag! All in all a brilliant reel Keith! The ninja is another great reel and a lot cheaper! I have the 2000a for lure fishing!

Blog Entries

W
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Daiwa Ninja...just ignore the stupid name. Great little reel and not that pricey.
    Skip Ive just sent a Diawa Ninja 2500 LT back because it’s a tiny reel with very small diameter spools; although the Ninja 3000 & 4000 versions that I’ve seen in my local shop are a little larger, but a tad deeper than what Im really looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Shimano stradic c14 4000 RA ! It comes with a spare spool has spool reducers and only weighs 310g. It also has fighting drag! All in all a brilliant reel Keith! The ninja is another great reel and a lot cheaper! I have the 2000a for lure fishing!
    I might end up trying the spool reducers to fit the Stradic 4000 reel which I already have. Or making a spool reducer myself for one of the slightly larger Diawa Ninjas using some electrical tape, Thx.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 11-02-2019 at 19:18.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Really ? I've got a 2500 Ninja and I think its cock on for light waggler fishing which is what I bought it for. I dont think the spool diameters too small and depth IMO is largely irrelevant.....certainly not a deal breaker.

Each to their own but you'd never find a 4000 size reel within a mile of any of my float rods. Thats a feeder or light carp reel in my book.

Blog Entries

Skip, when I used to use my Team Diawa S2553 reels (see pic) back in the 90s for light waggler fishing I used to get a fair amount of line curl which I didn’t get with slightly larger diameter spools so I’ve always preferred having slightly larger diameter line spools on my reels, and I’m sure that the larger capacity Ninja reels that I’ve seen in my local tackle shop aren’t quite as small as the smaller capacity (2500 & smaller) Ninjas.

One of my old Team Diawa S2553 reels which have small diameter spools (but with both smaller and larger line capacities).

It wouldn’t be any problem for me if I could buy Drennan Float fish line in more than 100 metre spools in my tackleshop because then I wouldn’t have to use any backing on my spools and could use one of the larger Ninja reels together with my lighter strength lines without the need of having to use any backing.

Perhaps I should be asking if there are any lines that have all the properties of Drennan Float Fish* which come in longer length spools?
    (* good floating properties and resistance to shot damage etc.)

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 25-04-2019 at 19:12.

I like the daiwa TDR reels.

Blog Entries

The ninja for me,after my disaster with the two Shakespeare's at Christmas .net wife bought me a 4000,I would now like another,agree with capacity issues,but line lay is superb,to say I'm chuffed with it is an understatement and when you can pick them up for under fifty notes it's a steal,especially in comparison to the drennan...

Its all relative Keith. What you consider to be "small" I clearly dont...likewise when you say " light waggler" I immediately think reels sized 2500/3000 whereas you would be happy with a 4000 reel which I simply would not entertain.

Neither of us is wrong. Rods and reels are very personal and I have always tended to prefer things on the " lighter" side. My carp reels are 4000 size, zander and barbel 3500. I dont own anything bigger because I have no need of a reel that holds 2 miles of 15lb line and weighs a pound and a half.

I think on the whole Daiwa reel spools have larger diameters which is why I prefer them to all other brands....especially Shimano.

Blog Entries

I'm afraid that if a spools diameter is too narrow(and shallow)lines have a tendency to gain a memory,so 3000 reels would be a minimum for me,each to their own but until manufacturers produce shallower spools again(don't hold your breath)I will have to back reels to allow for the 100yes or so I want on a spool,unfortunately.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast