Fry in February!?

peterjg

Reaction score
Today my wife and I went for a walk along a flowing stretch of the K&A canal (upstream the river Kennet joins). We were surprised to see loads of fish fry in the edge. I would guess the fry were mainly about 20mm long. I suppose these would be brown trout?

flightliner

Reaction score
--- or maybe perch Peter, predators are normally the first to spawn.
Never been lucky enough myself to see such small fry this early in the year but the weather generally this winter has been relatively mild.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It does seem a bit strange this year, spotted bluebottles around yesterday, daffodils have been poking through for a couple of weeks, crocuses as well. Every year starlings turn up and they were around looking for nesting holes all ready about a month earlier than usual and the sparrows look like they are getting restless getting ready to nest.
I don't know how this affects fish spawning but could be a different year than normal.

Molehill

Reaction score
Plenty of fry in the margins today, river Wye so probably trout or salmon. Good they survived the floods.

mikench

Reaction score
Many of the small roach I caught today had the small nodules on their heads I associated with bream! I also noticed quite a few fry! I must have caught a few!:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
There was a broken blackbird egg on the drive a couple of days ago. I guess the magpies had the first batch. I understand this is standard that the first batch gets eaten and blackbirds have multi batches.