preserve

hawb811

Reaction score
if i pumped dissolved sugar through my expanders would it preserve them

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think the sugar would re-crystallise and go hard.
Maybe if you kept them airtight it wouldn't but then you wouldn't need to use a preservative .

Last edited:

hawb811

Reaction score
ok, has anyone got any ideas how i can preserve my home made jelly pellets to make in large batches so that i can try them instead of making 100every time i go fishing and throwing 95 away, i have tried freezing them corixa58 but they went mushy

The Sogster

Reaction score
Try a preservative and wrap in cling film or similar.

I've never seen a mouldy jelly baby, what's in them :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
ok, has anyone got any ideas how i can preserve my home made jelly pellets to make in large batches so that i can try them instead of making 100every time i go fishing and throwing 95 away, i have tried freezing them corixa58 but they went mushy

Only using 5, ? you are either not catching or you are only going for an hour. A simple soltion would be not to make as many, If you have have to freeze them, try putting in air tight container or tied tightly in clingfilm or a poly bag,

laguna

Reaction score
Thin sugar solutions/syrup work but only up to a point. You would need to create a vacuum and exclude the air like fruit in a tin. Thicker solutions will cause crystallisation.
In answer to hawb811 It all depends on how you made your jelly pellets. Water quantity? Did you use glycerine and gelatine?

I guess neither of you have ever used SAC juice extracts before as a Soak?
*Imparts upwards of 20 year shelf life to different kinds of bait. SAC™ juice 'bait activator' for fish (50ml)

hawb811

Reaction score
i generally make about 100 for a session in about 120mls of water with 2 gelatine leaves in, if they re not taking pellet i change to other baits until i can hopefully find one they are taking and at the end of the day i toss the remaining jelly pellets away as they dont keep long, if i could find a preservative i could then make 5 or 600 or more up so that i can take them several times only having to make the one batch up every so often, pity i couldnt find out what ringers use to preserve theirs

rayner

Reaction score
OK adding jelly to expanders make them a little more durable, but don't you think they fish better being softer just soaked/pumped in water.
The newer sonu baits pro expanders are excellent they don't need pumping and are very spongy. Bait Tech expanders are another top brand, I've tried all the other and if that's what you are using then I'm not surprised you use gelatine.

corixa58

Reaction score
I always pump in gelatine at twice the strength ie instead of a pint of water to gelatine I use at the most half a pint then let them dry and freeze them and had no trouble with them going mushy ? thats ringer expanders.

laguna

Reaction score
I have always maintained that solubility is very important to fish. Some swear by that 'washed out look' whereby a boilie/pellets has been left undisturbed for ages giving fish the confidence to eat it? I think it has more to do with solubility than how long it's been sitting there uneaten, otherwise if it had leached it's flavours more efficiently, it would have already been eaten imo.
Many years ago a friend of ours once challenged us to a friendly saying he was catching well on his secret bait up at a local canal venue. At the time he didn't reveal what he was using for bait but we each wagered £5 and took up the challenge.
I remember we used a variety of baits including bread punch, caster and expanders - each of us beating him by a couple of pounds. It turned out our mate was using jelly babies which were unnaturally flavoured and far less soluble. Now had we not been there? In the absence of bait choice for fish to choose from, he may well have had a better day on jelly babies!

roughie

Reaction score
I use Young's brew fermentation stopper (wine stabiliser),which you can buy in home brew shops. Add to warm water mix, then you can pump the pellets. You may have to try a couple of times to get the correct levels, you don't need to add a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

hawb811

Reaction score
I use Young's brew fermentation stopper (wine stabiliser),which you can buy in home brew shops. Add to warm water mix, then you can pump the pellets. You may have to try a couple of times to get the correct levels, you don't need to add a lot.

i think ill try that, i might have some somewhere form my brewing days