Old School fishing videos on Youtube

Another Dave

Reaction score
Our first free offering is from Billy Makin. Here he shows you what to do with a canal swim that would quite frankly baffle me.

I love the lack of a need for a rod rest and the tip about catching one fish at a time.

YouTube

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd much prefer to watch vidoes like that, no stupid , "so called" misic deafening me!
Those people knew how to make a video for propper anglers....imo.

nottskev

Reaction score
I agree with that! It's great to see anglers applying consummate skill with a casual manner - and without a mountain of gear. There are good old-school canal videos on youtube from ****ie Carr, Ian Heaps and Dave Roper. If there are any others you've seen, let us know.

daniel121

Reaction score
Thanks guys, great thread you have given me my morning cupper TV before the dragon wakes up.

daniel121

Reaction score
The main thing that appeals to me on these films is the humble nature of them, 'typical makin, I've forgot my plummet and squats'. No designer clothes or super expensive kit, highly advertised next big thing by sponcer and genuine excitement from catching a 8oz carp! A time when fishing was popular and the world was a very different place.

Thank you for posting this another Dave I really enjoyed it.

steve2

Reaction score
Memory joggers from a time when fishing wasn’t all about big catches and big fish.
The era that some would now be calling traditional fishing.
That splitcane rod in the chub video did look a bit floppy and a centre pin reel makes you wonder how we ever caught fish:)

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Dave that was a superb vid and the type I really enjoy! Watching an unassuming self deprecatory ,non theatrical but very talented angler made me want to go fishing for roach. Watching the current crop of presenters also makes me want to go fishing for roach. No stupid music, no schoolboy antics, no stupid grins and laughter just a natural fisherman having a great time on a canal catching lovely fish on tiny hooks and bait!

As PC succinctly put it, proper fishing!

Now where are my pipe and tweed jacket?

Last edited: