Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Closed season....

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Funny how some anglers never remember the last day they can fish but always remember the first day of the season, as if in denial.

Lol I think it's because of the fact that the closed season is a bit of a mess and completely outdated.

The environment agency has replaced the local river boards, river police are virtually no more, when was the last time you guys saw river police? Move back 40 or so years and people was in no doubt it was the 14th because the rivers was lined with fisherman on the 14th and devoid on the 15th, even the non angling public knew of the closed season, of course the odd chance tried but got moved on by river authorities.

Thanks to the 'poor' farmers we had have all year round fishing, then it was further blurred by opening the canals and drains, if you talk to environment agency staff now they don't appear to know themselves where you can and can't fish 100%, adding to the fact few people fish the river anyway now, it's all abit stupid.

But the 16th of June was a magical date, its abit like your birthday as a child it's a date you would never ever forget.

Thank's for all the replys gents .
    Ok, so it's the 14th then, although i'm so forgetful these days, I may well get mixed up again by then and fish beyond the closeing date .

Being serious now, round these parts the rivers are gonn'a be pretty much unfishable with a float for the remaining few days as they have all rose overnight, and going off the weather forecast that's the way they're gonn'a stay until beyond the closeing date.
    I suppose there's always legarrrrgh'ring .

Blog Entries

And HOPEFULLY, this might all change very soon now anyway. I hope they just get rid of this antiquated Victorian idea altogether, but it will take someone with balls at the EA to decide that and I'm afraid there's very few there with the necessary equipment.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

I can remember two of my local club's committee members fishing on Wareham Quay on the Frome on 16th March, claiming it was OK, with the EA boathouse just 100 yards away. The Dorset Stour has got distinctly lumpy now; it was 18" up on the upper river and holding steady - fishable in parts - but now 6ft up and still rising. With plenty more rain to come I don't think I'll bother unless it's dry for three or four days, might find somewhere on the tidal that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    But the 16th of June was a magical date, its abit like your birthday as a child it's a date you would never ever forget.
    Don't assume that your nostalgia is universal. Remember that Yorkshire and Northumbria regions don't share in that nostalgia for the 16th of June. Our opening day was June the 1st for an awful lot longer than its been the 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Are you sure John ?............
    Absolutely Tigger. My wedding Anniversary is the 15th. Craftily orchestrated for the close season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Absolutely Tigger. My wedding Anniversary is the 15th. Craftily orchestrated for the close season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not got a clue when my wedding anniversary is, just after I got out the nick I think lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Not got a clue when my wedding anniversary is
    Yes, it's one of the snide, trick questions you're sometimes asked you to confirm your identity - together with 'when is your wife's birthday'.................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    Yes, it's one of the snide, trick questions you're sometimes asked you to confirm your identity - together with 'when is your wife's birthday'.................
    Haha, I really don't remember either....seriously .

I struggle too - mind you I've only got 'em wrong once.....................in any given year...
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast