Closed season....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As daft as this sounds, every year I forget what is the last day we can fish the rivers. I have fished on the 16th in the past and even other anglers I spoke to asked how I was doing on the last day!
I can't remember if it's the 14th or 15th that we can actually fish on the rivers, can anyone remember? LOL.

rich66

Reaction score
No fishing for coarse fish in rivers from 15 March to 15 June
So surely 14th March would be the last day to fish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol, see what I mean, seems a lot of people get mixed up with this.
I think the rich66 is right and the 14th is the last day we can fish.....but I may be wrong :eek:mg:.

I seem to remember it says somewhere, the closed season is the 16th to the 16th inclusive

So according to that corixa58 is right and it's the 15th!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No,no and no...Mark is spot on. The closed season is 15th March to 15th June inclusive which makes the 14th March the last day you can legally fish the rivers until the following 16th June.

Unless you are a famous (?) Angling celebrity of course accidentally fishing illegally for shad !

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
From the EA NW byelaws:

The annual close season for fishing for freshwater fish -
(a)in rivers, streams, drains and waterways (other than canals);
(b)in all waters in the Specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest and the Broads;
(c)in all waters listed in Schedule 4 to this Byelaw;shall be the statutory period that is the period from and including the 15th day
of March to and including the 15th day of June following.
(3)In all other waters including canals there shall be no statutory close season for freshwater fish.
(4)During the period from and including the 15th day of March to and including the 15th day of June following fishing by rod and line for eels is authorized in those waters where the statutory close season for freshwater fish has been dispensed with.
(5)Existing byelaws which contain reference to "the annual close season for freshwater fish" shall henceforth be read and construed as if the said byelaws apply only to the waters in relation to which a close season for freshwater fish is imposed in Byelaw 6(2) notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the relevant existing byelaws

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny how some anglers never remember the last day they can fish but always remember the first day of the season, as if in denial.

daniel121

Reaction score
Funny how some anglers never remember the last day they can fish but always remember the first day of the season, as if in denial.

Lol I think it's because of the fact that the closed season is a bit of a mess and completely outdated.

The environment agency has replaced the local river boards, river police are virtually no more, when was the last time you guys saw river police? Move back 40 or so years and people was in no doubt it was the 14th because the rivers was lined with fisherman on the 14th and devoid on the 15th, even the non angling public knew of the closed season, of course the odd chance tried but got moved on by river authorities.

Thanks to the 'poor' farmers we had have all year round fishing, then it was further blurred by opening the canals and drains, if you talk to environment agency staff now they don't appear to know themselves where you can and can't fish 100%, adding to the fact few people fish the river anyway now, it's all abit stupid.

But the 16th of June was a magical date, its abit like your birthday as a child it's a date you would never ever forget.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank's for all the replys gents :cool:.
Ok, so it's the 14th then, although i'm so forgetful these days, I may well get mixed up again by then :confused: and fish beyond the closeing date :wh.

Being serious now, round these parts the rivers are gonn'a be pretty much unfishable with a float for the remaining few days as they have all rose overnight, and going off the weather forecast that's the way they're gonn'a stay until beyond the closeing date.
I suppose there's always legarrrrgh'ring :eek:mg:.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And HOPEFULLY, this might all change very soon now anyway. I hope they just get rid of this antiquated Victorian idea altogether, but it will take someone with balls at the EA to decide that and I'm afraid there's very few there with the necessary equipment.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can remember two of my local club's committee members fishing on Wareham Quay on the Frome on 16th March, claiming it was OK, with the EA boathouse just 100 yards away. The Dorset Stour has got distinctly lumpy now; it was 18" up on the upper river and holding steady - fishable in parts - but now 6ft up and still rising. With plenty more rain to come I don't think I'll bother unless it's dry for three or four days, might find somewhere on the tidal that's OK.

sam vimes

Reaction score
But the 16th of June was a magical date, its abit like your birthday as a child it's a date you would never ever forget.

Don't assume that your nostalgia is universal. Remember that Yorkshire and Northumbria regions don't share in that nostalgia for the 16th of June. Our opening day was June the 1st for an awful lot longer than its been the 16th.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely Tigger. My wedding Anniversary is the 15th. Craftily orchestrated for the close season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not got a clue when my wedding anniversary is, just after I got out the nick I think lol.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it's one of the snide, trick questions you're sometimes asked you to confirm your identity - together with 'when is your wife's birthday'.................

Haha, I really don't remember either....seriously :rolleyes:.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I struggle too - mind you I've only got 'em wrong once.....................in any given year...