Plastic Float Boxes?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm still using polycarbonate sheet with edging after nearly 30 years. They protect the floats well and you can see what you've got. 1 DSCN1502.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Stewart boxes I had were yellow, but I can remember seeing other colours. At the moment, floats are in tubes like these, cut down from rod or top kit tubes, so I can just put whichever in the bag on a given day. It's neat, but you have to tip them out to see what you want to use.

I'd prefer a bunch of boxes with hinged lids; they don't have to be big, indeed, the smaller the better.
I like the look of the Paint Brush Box - but at £7 + they look a bit over-priced. Still, I'll follow up all the suggestions.

For the majority of my roaving trotting sessions I use an old korda pva tube, I think it's the mid sized one. The bigger one would be handy to have but I ain't buying pva just for that.
The only downside to the korda pva tube is it won't fit longer floats into it but it fits them up to a woodys 5gm bolo which is as large as I normally go.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I have been using one of these for about 12months and they have been fine.
Maver Float Box

I am sure if you shop round somebody might be selling something similar for less money.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's the placcy tubes I use for floats, the korda one has a screw on cap....

This a draw that has a fair number of floats in it, lots are buried

These ar some old but brand new/unused loaded slider floats, I have a number of these and have some that i've used

This is a old shaky plastic box and another placcy tackle box, it's old and was a freebie on angling times
I have a number of other unused placcy freebies off angling times and the like

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
These were my favourites, Woolworths used to sell them when they were going.
I use them for floats,feeders, and spinners, I bought a good few in there closing down sale, still going strong after at least ten years, they called them a hobby box I think.
View attachment 6472
View attachment 6473

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'd have a look in Hobbycraft, loads of boxes for under a fiver last time i went in there.

trotter2

Reaction score
I got my first stewart box must have been late 70s they were grey in colour and came in 3 sizes the very first ones had a long piano hinge plastic but had a metal rod straight through the middle of the hinge and also had two clips around the box which held it closed. The later stewart boxes had no clips and a hinge that was all plastic (no metal pin).
The last version was yellow with a clear plastic lid. Again all available in the 3 sizes.
Good boxes which were designed to take fishing tackle not just general bits and Bob's like most others on the market at the time. You still see the odd ones on ebay from time to time but because of the age the plastic is now a bit dried out and easily cracked. They are becoming collectable.
When the shakespere tackle boxes came on the market a lot of anglers moved over to them instead of the Stewart box.

The bad one

Reaction score
I went through a phase of making my own boxes out of wood, thin 3 ply sheets and the stems off big firework rockets 8 -10 mm sq which I collected after bonfire night. a length of small piano hing and the foam sticky slot inserts. Countersunk small magnet and steel plate as the lock. Costed out the lot came to a couple of quid and gave me a lot of pleasure making them.

PS the best ever waggle box holder I ever came across and still use are the plastic knitting needle boxes.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I'm still using polycarbonate sheet with edging after nearly 30 years. They protect the floats well and you can see what you've got.View attachment 6471
You beat me to it Mark, I use the same, plus they can be cut to length to suit the float size,

I also used them for pole rigs in the wider sizes, The conservatory fitters around here did a roaring trade in the offcuts at the time.

trotter2

Reaction score
I went through a phase of making my own boxes out of wood, thin 3 ply sheets and the stems off big firework rockets 8 -10 mm sq which I collected after bonfire night. a length of small piano hing and the foam sticky slot inserts. Countersunk small magnet and steel plate as the lock. Costed out the lot came to a couple of quid and gave me a lot of pleasure making them.

PS the best ever waggle box holder I ever came across and still use are the plastic knitting needle boxes.

This really is still the best option, making the box custom made for what you need to carry in it.
With compartments the right size for the job. Overhaul they may be a little bit more heavy than a plastic job.
The one I use today was made by myself about 15 yrs ago it holds floats,end tackle and hook lengths all in the same box. I instantly know if I have that box I have everything for a days fishing all in one unit.
That way I have really no chance of leaving anything at home.Much better than carrying individual hook boxes,float boxes,tackle boxes, which for me adds to the confused mess.

Keith M

Reaction score
the best ever waggle box holder I ever came across and still use are the plastic knitting needle boxes.

Hobby Craft sell knitting stuff so that’s where I would start looking.

I store my wagglers in an old float container that was free on the front cover of an ‘Improve your Coarse Fishing’ magazine many years ago.

Keith

The bad one

Reaction score
Keith I've had the needle tubes that long I can't remember where I got them from. My wife knits, I might have stolen them off her :lock1:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would say the Conservatory roof polycarbonate panels are better, you can store individual floats in them, if using tubes or flat containers there is a risk of damaging the paintwork or the tips on the floats.

The bad one

Reaction score
Was in a shop of the Shop chain "The Works" today doing some birthday shopping for the Granddaughters and noticed they had wooden boxes (unpainted or varnished) of quite a few sizes, shapes and depths in stock. Ranging in price from a couple of quid to around a tenner.

Well worth a check out if you like wooden boxes for you floats.

sam vimes

Reaction score
By happy coincidence, Dave Harrell has just announced (on Facebook) that he's adding some plastic float boxes to his catalogue.
DH float boxes.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By happy coincidence, Dave Harrell has just announced (on Facebook) that he's adding some plastic float boxes to his catalogue.
View attachment 6504

I have some of those (a m8 of mine had loads he was giving out to a few of us, they weren't for fishing) without the DH name on em, pretty identicle, and came with all the dividers.