Plastic Float Boxes?

nottskev

Reaction score
Have seatboxes with trays made the old-style boxes obsolete? I've been keeping mine in tubes, but I don't like the way you have to get them all out to sift out what you want. I used to have some flat, slim hinged plastic boxes - about 12" x 4" x 1 1/2 or so, but they are long gone and I can't find anything similar online. I think they were labelled Stewart, but I could be mis-remembering.

Anyone seen anything like this around?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still have a stwart one, but mines a larger one that has sections for bits n bobs and a couple of longer sections fot the floats.
I did have the designated float versions but they went brittle and cracked. I think they were made from cheapo plastic and it just spoils and goes brittle, and then breaks for nothing really.
I use plastic tubes now for most of my fishing because i'm trotting and raoving about so only need half a dozen floats.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have seatboxes with trays made the old-style boxes obsolete?

Pretty much.

I used to have some flat, slim hinged plastic boxes - about 12" x 4" x 1 1/2 or so, but they are long gone and I can't find anything similar online. I think they were labelled Stewart, but I could be mis-remembering. Anyone seen anything like this around?

If they were grey, they were very likely to be Stewart boxes. I've not seen them for twenty years. Even then, they were old stock still hanging around unsold. The Stewart Plastics company still exists, but there doesn't seem to be anything angling related in their product range now. You can only guess that they stopped making fishing boxes due to lack of sales.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much.

If they were grey, they were very likely to be Stewart boxes. I've not seen them for twenty years. Even then, they were old stock still hanging around unsold. The Stewart Plastics company still exists, but there doesn't seem to be anything angling related in their product range now. You can only guess that they stopped making fishing boxes due to lack of sales.

The larger stuart box I have is grey but i'm positive the designated ones were a yellow colour. I would imagine they made a few colour variants.

My favourite tackle container of old is a shakespear box, a large black box with a couple of removeable trays, loads of float space in that one.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The larger stuart box I have is grey but i'm positive the designated ones were a yellow colour. I would imagine they made a few colour variants.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I only ever saw, and had, Stewart float boxes in grey.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are these the sort of boxes you’re after Kev?

wmvx5WU.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, I used to have them canterlever style boxes when I was a kid and early teenager,. Infact my brother and all our friends had them also. We all had wicker fishing baskets back then and those boxes fitted in fine.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just thinkin', i'm sure greys did a nice float box in the recent couple of years?

john step

Reaction score
I got mine from the following on Ebay from Bulgaria Various sizes. Good value.. I can't do links so this is typed .....

NEW ITALIAN PLASTICA FISHING TACKLE FLOAT BOX. Seller3226 Svetlandeni.

flightliner

Reaction score
When I went over to the "dark side" of carp angling I bought a couple of the grey Stewart boxes which I still have and use but they now contain most of my lures ,spinners and such.

mikench

Reaction score
Some great ideas there! The Plano box is stable and strong and it isn't a cantilever type. The lid folds back and the top tray lifts out! You could leave it out if you wished.

The top tray fits into the underside of the lid so one can check both areas!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got mine from the following on Ebay from Bulgaria Various sizes. Good value.. I can't do links so this is typed .....

NEW ITALIAN PLASTICA FISHING TACKLE FLOAT BOX. Seller3226 Svetlandeni.

I was struggling to remember where I got mine, you’ve just solved that.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just thinkin', i'm sure greys did a nice float box in the recent couple of years?

They did these, which I thought were a pretty pointless size They were more about fitting into the Tackle Base boxes than anything. They also did a rig board cover which could serve fairly well as an alternative to a float tube.

I have several examples of both of the latter, but not the former. It was a decent enough box, but only for baiting needles and the like. I never saw a specific float box from Greys. I'd have been all over it if I had. The Greys Klip Lock stuff (especially the bait boxes) are as good a stab at plastic fishing boxes as I've seen in years.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Stewart boxes I had were yellow, but I can remember seeing other colours. At the moment, floats are in tubes like these, cut down from rod or top kit tubes, so I can just put whichever in the bag on a given day. It's neat, but you have to tip them out to see what you want to use.

I'd prefer a bunch of boxes with hinged lids; they don't have to be big, indeed, the smaller the better.
I like the look of the Paint Brush Box - but at £7 + they look a bit over-priced. Still, I'll follow up all the suggestions.