upper limits of a float rod.

joec87

Reaction score
I tend to fish viaduct in Somerset a lot, as far as commercials go its very pretty, has some lovely fish and the owners are really friendly and helpful. I only manage to get out about once a month, so like to get a bend in the rod. I also have also started targeting the wye this year for a change when the conditions are right. For me, one of the biggest pleasure in fishing is watching the float bury, I have a Drennan series 7 carp waggler, which so far has handled carp up to 15lb. However, the viaduct has a fair few 20s swimming around. I'm fishing 7lb mono, size 14 or 12 hooks, its fairly snag free so I'm assuming I'll have a fairly good chance of getting one to the net if I hook one? I don't really want to fish the float with a barbel rod, and I definitely don't wanna step up to proper carp fishing. I know Korum do a float rod for targeting big carp, but it sounds like its really heavy compared to what I have now so I can't see how it will have a fast enough action for the strike? There are a lot of matches on the viaduct, those boys I'm assuming are using stepped up match gear and don't seem to have many problems, just looking for general reassurance really!

Thanks guys

Another Dave

Reaction score
It's another one of those 'please please justify me buying another rod i don't need' threads isn't it. I was about to start one myself.

steve2

Reaction score
If you checked your rods against what we use to use for carp fishing your rod is most probably stronger.
It will easily handle large carp.
Why not check what the other anglers are using and then go and buy what you think you need or don’t need. We can all convince ourselves that we need a new rod.

mikench

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the previous comments. I suspect some members may have the experience of breaking a rod whilst playing a fish but I doubt that would be playing one in open snag free water! A rod is designed to bend from the tip through to the butt and zones in between! It's that cushioning effect which controls the lunges of the fish and allied to a decent drag on your reel, helps to reduce hook pulls! Float rods do not have test curves like other rods and a few of mine have produced heart stopping moments but survived! I bought a carp rod and used it twice.

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the previous comments. I suspect some members may have the experience of breaking a rod whilst playing a fish but I doubt that would be playing one in open snag free water! A rod is designed to bend from the tip through to the butt and zones in between! It's that cushioning effect which controls the lunges of the fish and allied to a decent drag on your reel, helps to reduce hook pulls! Float rods do not have test curves like other rods and a few of mine have produced heart stopping moments but survived! I bought a carp rod and used it twice.

It is Mike,but there are so many float rods out there,I use a Normark Specimen Match 12'6'',it's top is very fine,but has lots of power power down,most rods can only apply small amounts of the line being used,match rods are the same,it can be very difficult to find the right for for the job and could end up being very expensive,buying several to find 'the one',if fishing purely for pleasure it comes down purely to finances...

mikench

Reaction score
It's fun though Alan! So far I like the Titan but its handle is a lot longer than say my Tricast or Mach3 and at the moment my casts with a fs reel have a downward trajectory for some reason! It handled a 10lb common with aplomb with a Size 18 hook and 3lb hook length. I regard rods like cars; they do their job some with more excitement than others and get you from a to b but differently. A daily driver is very different from a wind in the hair soft top!

I have certainly changed my view that current rods are much better than some rods of yesteryear !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's fun though Alan! So far I like the Titan but its handle is a lot longer than say my Tricast or Mach3 and at the moment my casts with a fs reel have a downward trajectory for some reason! It handled a 10lb common with aplomb with a Size 18 hook and 3lb hook length. I regard rods like cars; they do their job some with more excitement than others and get you from a to b but differently. A daily driver is very different from a wind in the hair soft top!

I have certainly changed my view that current rods are much better than some rods of yesteryear !

I'd think twice before tightening up that reel holder on yer tricast Mike!
In all honesty it would have to go if it were mine, if you can't put a reel on without worrying the foot will be damaged it ain't worth haveing.
I had a look at the reel holder on my tricast and I really don't like it, but, I don't think it would bend a reel foot as yours did, even if I over tightened it.
I had some lovely daiwa rods and got rid of them for the same kind'a reason.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'll try the Tricast with a fs reel and see if it's me, the reel seat or the reel.

hawb811

Reaction score
i also have a series 7 carp waggler and i am confident it would handle a 20lb+ fish as long s the clutch isnt too tight

Reaction score
Mike,are you inferring that the titan 2000 isn't as good as today's rods,it must be remembered its an old style match rod,so is matched with 2-3lb lines really,I've had quite a lot of barbel on mine up to 6 or 7lbs(if I remember rightly),but on the lines mentioned,carp similar to yours,good tench,my five bream yesterday to 4lbs gave a good fight in the flow...

mikench

Reaction score
No Alan, the opposite in fact. The Titan and a couple of Daiwa Amorphous Whiskers have surprised me with how good they feel and how nice to use they are.

I said"I have certainly changed my view that current rods are much better than some rods of yesteryear !" in other words old rods can be as good as new models.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Alan, the opposite in fact. The Titan and a couple of Daiwa Amorphous Whiskers have surprised me with how good they feel and how nice to use they are.

I said"I have certainly changed my view that current rods are much better than some rods of yesteryear !" in other words old rods can be as good as new models.

Mike, it's the reel seat bud, not you. It shouldn't bend a reel foot like that.
Regarding your titans higher line rating, it's 6lb. It's 8lb for the avenger and 4lb for the microlite.

Reaction score
Mike,if you feel the need to spend some hard earned,get yourself a 12ft titan or avenger 2000,a totally different creature to the 13fter.