New reel... single or double handle?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Nice to see there are others out there who dislike double handles as much as I do. That said...I have a pair of dinky little Shimano DL 2500 with double handles and I like these a lot. Its when the reel gets bigger I cannot bear double handles.

I've never yet taken a hacksaw to a reel but that's probably because I will go out of my way to avoid reels that only come with double handles. I really dont know how I ended up with those 2500 DL's but I love em to bits.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
You're never too old to learn Skip................;)

Lets not get carried away here.....its just 2 reels out of goodness knows how many. Not loaded with Sensor either.....maybe thats why I like them !

The Ninja is a cracking little reel btw.....but so too are the new Korums which are a bit cheaper. Provided you avoid the real junk/holiday end of the market I'm not sure there is such a thing as a bad reel nowadays.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lets not get carried away here.....its just 2 reels out of goodness knows how many. Not loaded with Sensor either.....maybe thats why I like them !

How can you say a mini baitrunner with a double handle is great and in the next breath say you dislike other double handled reels?
I had those double handled baitrunners years ago and out of all the double handled reels i've had and liked, i found them to be fiddly due to the handles being so small....i got shut of them asap!
The X aero is a much better reel imo, and even better still the old gte's.

mikench

Reaction score
I really like my 4000 x aero with a double handle my 4000 Aero feeder with a single handle and the Stradic 4000 c14 rb again with a single handle!

I would happily use any for all my fishing but clearly that would defeat the point of havîng all three.

In my view life's too short to have just one type or just one reel or just one of anything save for er indoors:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
I've heard the alleged advantages, but to me they still look like mutations from a new recruit to the design team. I had a look online to see what attracted people to them. I found a few people saying they make it easier to find the handle. I've always found the handle pretty much where I left it......

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I thought double handles were introduced to stop the handle dropping forward under it's own weight.
Irritating when feeder fishing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
How can you say a mini baitrunner with a double handle is great and in the next breath say you dislike other double handled reels?

Easy...because I am a cantankerous,fussy old git. I thought you of all people would understand that. I nearly bought a pair of those aeros but there was something about that spool skirt that I just didnt like.

The baby baitrunners are perfect for the job I bought them for which involves fairly gentle tackle on light rods which would be hopelessly unbalanced by a big dog reel. I'd rather they didn't have double handles but I've got used to them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Easy...because I am a cantankerous,fussy old git. I thought you of all people would understand that. I nearly bought a pair of those aeros but there was something about that spool skirt that I just didnt like.

The baby baitrunners are perfect for the job I bought them for which involves fairly gentle tackle on light rods which would be hopelessly unbalanced by a big dog reel. I'd rather they didn't have double handles but I've got used to them.

Fair enough lol.