Pole elastics?

Nnighteelff

Reaction score
Hey guys.

My local water is a mixed fish water, roach, skimmers, perch, barbel to 3lb, and mirrors, commons and ghosties. The skimmers run to about a lb the carp start about 2lb and run to about 17lb, usually 3 to 8lb are average.

Last year I returned to fishing after a 15 year break and was using hydro 10 to 14.for light elastic and 14 to 18 for margin and surface work. I found I was bumping a lot of the smaller fish or having pull outs but the carp were tearing off on the 10 to 14 hydro.

What elastic would you use and why? I've got puller kits on my pole but not sure which way to try with elastic. I'm not brand specific, have looked at the map, vespa and matrix slik as well as using the hydro again.

Any recommendations appreciated, and thanks in advance.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
For me it's a case of what am I fishing for? As you say, bumping silvers off on heavy elastic is a problem.
If I want to catch silvers I use a light elastic. The new Matrix stuff in 4-6 is perfect for roach and skimmers, I also like the Daiwa hydro yellow 3-5. It is possible to land a big carp on these although patience and plenty of room is needed. Submerging your poletip in those circumstances seems to stop carp pulling so hard but you have to be quick.
If I'm after carp I use Preston hollo 13 green, it stretches very well and is very hard wearing.
It's also soft enough to land smaller fish if you are careful.
So basically I decide which I'm going to fish for and accept I'll lose some either way.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This advice is totally biased as Nick Gilbert is a friend of mine, but if you give him a call he will put you right and his highly acclaimed elastics are a bit cheaper than some of the big brand names.

Products – Float Store

Nnighteelff

Reaction score
Thanks guys the nick Gilbert elastic seems good, getting a lot of good reviews, going to order some and give it a go. Think I'll set up with a 10-14 for mixed and the 12 to 16 for targeting the carp in open water with meat and hard pellet.

Cheers guys :)

nottskev

Reaction score
I appreciate the problem. The range of fish you describe - roach, perch, 1lb skimmers, 17lb carp - is, for me, too wide for any one elastic, so it's a matter of deciding, as has been said, what you want to go for eg roach, perch and skimmers or carp. I fish a couple of lakes that have some variety - your catch might include 6 oz roach, 12oz perch, 3lb tench and 6lb carp - and I've found that doubled elastics are useful as they start soft enough not to bump anything and power up enough to land medium-size carp. A double 4 or 5 elastic makes a versatile set-up. Your 10 -14 would be something I'd use for carp, rather than any smaller species, so I'm not surprised it can lead to bumped fish. I know some anglers who, in pursuit of getting everything out, use relatively light elastic eg white hydro and pullers, but it's not for me, as I don't like stripping elastic, stripped elastic dangling around, and the length of time I've seen them take to subdue larger fish. I'm probably not the best to comment on this topic though, as I don't fish commercials much, and that tends to be where the problem rears it's head most, with chuck-some-of -everything in stocking policies.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It would be good if you could get tapered elastic which is thin at the top tapering down to a thicker diameter.
This would solve the problems outlined already.
However, the manufacturers would sell less so it's unlikely....