close season nefariousness

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The Tidal starts at Teddington weir as that is the first full on obstruction although a high spring tide will top that on occasion. It's pretty much coarse fishing but there are small bass and flounders there sometimes, not enough to justify them as your quarry given that you will catch too many coarse fish. Common sense really. At Richmond you have the half lock which is quite a bit of engineering, not as a flood defence but there to keep the water in for navigation at low tide, it always was interesting fishing above and below the half lock at low tide during the season, the tide when on the flow goes straight through unhindered.
Yes, I checked that out with our chairman this afternoon and he agrees. The London Stone at Staines was the tidal marker in the olde days before all the locks and weirs were put in place, though.

There was a piece of canal near Rickmansworth where if you sat on the towpath you could cast well over the other side into where the river rejoined and that would be legal or hard to prove, but if you sat on the opposite bank and fished the same spot, it would be illegal.

I do wish more people would spin for trout in the Thames (and use a light wire trace JUST in case) just to find out how many trout are in there. We had a day on our fishery once when my mate caught 9 or 10 brownies and I had three. I also had a sea trout on New Years Eve 2018. They are there, not many maybe, just no one fishes for them. Blame the EA for destroying their spawning habitat.

theartist

Reaction score
Are you sure that you can't get a Trout on a dry fly from the Thames Jeff? When I had a dinghy I used to see lots of rises in the very shallow areas especially in the late hours when the water is sometimes flat from no boats. It's all the boat traffic that makes it harder I reckon

Had one in Cookham weir a few winters back too on float and seen them trying to get up the weirs in broad daylight when I had the weir permit, One brownie was the size of a bus at Shepperton weir, I'll always remember that

john step

Reaction score
Yes, I checked that out with our chairman this afternoon and he agrees. The London Stone at Staines was the tidal marker in the olde days before all the locks and weirs were put in place, though.

There was a piece of canal near Rickmansworth where if you sat on the towpath you could cast well over the other side into where the river rejoined and that would be legal or hard to prove, but if you sat on the opposite bank and fished the same spot, it would be illegal.

I do wish more people would spin for trout in the Thames (and use a light wire trace JUST in case) just to find out how many trout are in there. We had a day on our fishery once when my mate caught 9 or 10 brownies and I had three. I also had a sea trout on New Years Eve 2018. They are there, not many maybe, just no one fishes for them. Blame the EA for destroying their spawning habitat.

I had one from Chertsy Weir once.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score