Too many fish...???

Keith M

Reaction score
When I go fishing my first aim is to catch the fish that I’m targeting that are in front of me, and this is doubly true if I’m fishing in a match or fishing somewhere new to me or somewhere less remote or fishing in colder winter conditions where time on the bank was limited by shorter days.

However if Im fishing in beautiful remote surroundings on a warm summers eve and I’ve already caught quite a few decent sized fish from my swim then I often feel like just laying my rod down and taking in the atmosphere and nature around me or getting up and having a wander along the bank spotting fish and wild life.

I know that If I carried on fishing I could catch a lot more but I’m not trying to win a match or prove anything to myself or anyone else when I’m pleasure fishing; so it’s nice to just relax for half an hour or longer in these situations and look at the nature around me both in and out of the water for a while before picking up my rod once more and carrying on again.

When I was younger then it was different and catching as much as I could in as short a time as possible was the only reason I was there, but as I age I seem to have mellowed and I no longer need to prove anything to myself or others when I’m pleasure fishing, and find that ‘smelling the roses’ on the way is all part of a good day out on the bank.

Keith

Last edited: