Buying hemp seed.

Reaction score
If I was doing 1-3 pints I'd happily cook it in a saucepan with a lid,probably takes twenty five minutes,I do it my way because it involves less earache,I used to have a brick boiler,I just used to put it outside the back door on an extension lead and do a gallon at a time,bag it I two pints lots and freeze it,that was when hemp was the must have for barbel,never use much these days...

Molehill

Reaction score
Got around to ordering a 20k bag from Hinders today, not cheap but hopefully I cannot go wrong with quality from them.
I just have to keep it away from my wife feeding it to the birds :mad:

Reaction score
Got around to ordering a 20k bag from Hinders today, not cheap but hopefully I cannot go wrong with quality from them.
I just have to keep it away from my wife feeding it to the birds :mad:

Tie her up...they luv it.....:whip::pound:

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Titmuss's at Wheathampstead do it,thing is i find prices are always dearer on the website than in the barn.

Titmuss's I have used before, good service.
If it sinks in water it is fresh.
Most Hemp is imported from China and I have to be honest its very poor quality, not because of farming but the time it is left in storage or from harvest to uk import.
I find it dry (old) full of bits of something hard (not sure if its not rock) and contains a small percentage of different seed...even grain.
Hemp that is grown and sold for humans is not dry inside (sinks in water) and is high in oil & moisture, but much more expensive and I found it hard to buy in quasi-bulk ....say 20-25kg not hopper bags/pallatised. French hemp is excellent, not seen any for years.

rayner

Reaction score
Used to get Chilean hemp in the 70s the biggest hemp I have ever used. Similar to that was Sensas giant hemp if that's still available I don't know, it was expensive for 1/2 a kilo but very good, Brilliant for the hook.

Molehill

Reaction score
I've just cooked up a pint for freezer and it is fine, splits well.
Here are some rough calculations, I didn't do super accurate measurements and figures are rounded up/down, approximate.

20kg of dried hemp from Hinders = £50.

1 pint weighs 330 grams, so 60 pints to the sack (1 pint = 85pence)

1 pint dried gives about 11/2 pints cooked = 90 pints to the sack.

So 1 pint of cooked hemp = 55pence.

Gives me an idea of how much I have in the sack and how long it will last etc.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just cooked up a pint for freezer and it is fine, splits well.
Here are some rough calculations, I didn't do super accurate measurements and figures are rounded up/down, approximate.

20kg of dried hemp from Hinders = £50.

1 pint weighs 330 grams, so 60 pints to the sack (1 pint = 85pence)

1 pint dried gives about 11/2 pints cooked = 90 pints to the sack.

So 1 pint of cooked hemp = 55pence.

Gives me an idea of how much I have in the sack and how long it will last etc.

That is actually quite good value provided it is good quality, the petfood shops round my way sell them in 500g bags uncooked for well over a pound a pop.
Buying in bulk is always betterxin the long run and going halves even.
If its no good simply dont buy it, about the only way to get the message back to the supply chain.