Buying hemp seed.

Molehill

Reaction score
I need to stock up with hemp (unprepared) for the coming season, now living in the back of beyond I have to purchase in bulk and online. Over the years I have received some rubbish, bought on internet or even from tackle shops (small bags when passing through somewhere). Might look lovely, big, juicy seed in the bags, but is empty shells or doesn't split etc. I also appreciate that the hemp harvests in China do vary in quality over the years, and price!
I don't need big seed, not using it on the hook, only groundbait for roach, barbel, tench etc, both river and lake.

It isn't cheap so I am committed to the order, I can't afford £50 worth of tat being delivered, but what to buy? There is masses online, most saying it is brilliant seed and I daresay much of it is from exactly the same source. Prices vary around the £40 mark and postage also varies - from free to £9.50 (cc moore). I want good seed at a fair price.

Haiths, Hinders, Copdock Mill, cc moore, fishing bait warehouse and loads more on ebay.

Recommendations please + ones to avoid!

Edit: I meant to say I am looking at about 20Kg bags. Can anyone remember about how many pints of cooked hemp come from 1Kg of dry seed?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'm far from expert in using hemp or even determining whether it's good quality or not! My suggestion is to order say 1kg to test it out! If it's poor you can give a bad review and try elsewhere. You can also contact a seller and discuss before ordering! 20kg is a lot if it's inferior quality!

Try this lot. I bought some giant hemp from them plus 20k of skrettings micros.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/citygarden2014/

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Speak to Michael who runs his own small business making carp spod mixes, he must buy tonnes of hemp in bulk. You’ll find him on Facebook under the name of Parti-Kol, a very helpful chap.

flightliner

Reaction score
Look up Cooks in Rotherham who do pet foods and fishing tackle/bait.I buy mine from there and have never had reason to complain.
Best ring and ask if they deliver.

rayner

Reaction score
I've stopped worrying if hemp is good quality when buying uncooked seed, I buy prepared from my local tackle shop. If you don't have easy access to shops tinned is a decent product, not good for the hook but decent feed bait.
As far as skretting pellets go they have now/are to stop trading, don't know why. All that I know is the only pellets available are Coppens. when shops have sold any stocks of skrettings they are holding.

Molehill

Reaction score
Thanks for comments so far, please keep suggestions coming.
I prefer uncooked for price really, also storage issues. Not having any tackle shops I would have to buy loads of cans and then store them. Uncooked goes into a tub and stacks on top of the wheat and maize in the lean to.

xenon

Reaction score
For what it's worth the last bulk purchase of hemp I got was from hinders and very good it was too, and at a fair price.

Reaction score
Titmuss's at Wheathampstead do it,thing is i find prices are always dearer on the website than in the barn.

rayner

Reaction score
I was told by a trusted friend that the hemp resisting to split has more than likely been irradiated to prevent it growing.
Of course I have no proof, just the word of my friend.
My wife is chuffed I buy cooked and tinned. Just soaked in water causes hemp to split but I believe it's not so affective as cooked, cooking releases the oils that soaked does not.
Not being able to hook hemp now prepared at home is not needed for me.
Just useless information I know.:jaw:

steve2

Reaction score
Have used hemp for many, many years one thing I believe is that it does not matter whether it splits or not when using it as a ground bait.
All my pellets and seed baits I buy at the local farm shop what make they are I have no idea.

Reaction score
I often find I just put say two pints of hemp in a bucket,cover it in an inch of two of water and put the lid on and leave it in the garage,repeat the process the next day and it's useable the next day,no smell,more importantly no moaning,catch plenty,but if you are using it as bed feed groats are the fellas for you...

Richox12

Reaction score
I find hemp which splits and shows the white shoots a MUST for roach. A white shoot on the hook can and has caught when a normal seed doesn't.

If I get a batch which won't split I take it back & change it (when sold as fishing bait).

Copdock Mill cooked hemp is very good, very oily but too small for a lot of loose feed work & especially hookbait

john step

Reaction score
Whitty recommends Titmus. I have used them many times. They are now called FISHING BAIT WORLD and are based in Hertfordshire.
Over a certain price their delivery is free. I have just had bulk Skrettings pellets from them.

Reaction score
Whitty recommends Titmus. I have used them many times. They are now called FISHING BAIT WORLD and are based in Hertfordshire.
Over a certain price their delivery is free. I have just had bulk Skrettings pellets from them.

Really,bloody hell,if you go into the place it's space for bait is tiny,mainly pet,wild bird and horse feeds...

john step

Reaction score
Really,bloody hell,if you go into the place it's space for bait is tiny,mainly pet,wild bird and horse feeds...

I have never been in there as I live up here in Gods county but they must deal mostly on line. Have a look at their web site.
Good for bulk buying and reliable delivery.

Reaction score
I can drive there in 15mins,I'd rather do that,I end up getting more mind,lol.

wetthrough

Reaction score
For what it's worth the last bulk purchase of hemp I got was from hinders and very good it was too, and at a fair price.

Bought some from Hinders last week and can confirm that the current batch splits well. Soaked for 24hrs and took around 20m simmering.

Reaction score
Bought some from Hinders last week and can confirm that the current batch splits well. Soaked for 24hrs and took around 20m simmering.

Christ,I take it your preparing large quantities mate,that's a hell of a rigmarol otherwise....