Helicopter rig

Mrnab

Reaction score
Just had a thought when fishing the heli rig a bare swivel can damage mono line. So i was thinking of using pulley swivels like they do in sea rigs. Is this a daft idea? i'd be mainly using heli rig for targetting tench.

mikench

Reaction score
You said it! What damage does the swivel cause? I use the Korum ready Heli rigs and never had this problem.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Can't see much damage occurring, but if you're worried about it you could put a short length of silicone tubing on the line where the swivel is.

Keith M

Reaction score
Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
A|re you talking carp here. I have waters where leaders are not allowed. I bought some beads called tulip beads whereby the swivel rests on an extension to the bead as opposed to any possibility of chaffing the line when playing a lump.

I don't like the idea of the hooklink bumping up against the lead during playing as I feel a shake of the head can dislodge a barbless hook(compulsory barbless)

I use a boom of weaker line about 12 inches. This is joined by a swivel and the hookilink can slide as far as this swivel and a rubber bead.

Philip

Reaction score
Just had a thought when fishing the heli rig a bare swivel can damage mono line. So i was thinking of using pulley swivels like they do in sea rigs. Is this a daft idea? i'd be mainly using heli rig for targetting tench.

In my opinion your overthinking it. Bare swivels touch the line in lots of situations...even a link ledger using a snap link swivel.

On your point about sea fishing rigs, I have to say I have never quite understood why some have not been used more in freshwater fishing. The bait clips & impact leads for example look spot on for distance casting to me. I dont know why more Carpers for example have not hooked on to the idea.

..I guess its easier to just sail out your bait boat nowadays.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that a swivel incorporated into the helicopter rigs on bare mono would be fine,unless you plan to have the rigs made up for months,in continuous use,rigs should be checked and remade fairly regularly,I barbel fish on weedy rivers with a swivel on bare mono on my running rig,I would normally re-tie the set up every two to three sessions,just to be safe,let's be honest your unlikely to use less than 8lb mono mainline...

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Mrnab, what are you fishing for?

I first used helirigs when carp fishing in the 80s - years before I saw it in print. If you are carp fishing (big carp) you must protect the line from the swivel - or the swivel might/can cut the reel line. Peter Crabtree mentioned silicon tubing, a minor point but I would suggest instead a stiffer/harder tubing.

If you are after big carp a hook link of 7-8 inches is best but this depends on the lake bed/weed, etc. IMHO the fashionable chod rig is not so good.

If you are targeting roach with maggots the length of the hook link can be absolutely critical, the aim is to have the hooklink short enough for it to tighten as soon as the maggots are picked up - this results in the roach being lip hooked - you need to set the clutch correctly and play the fish gently.

Ensure that the rig is safe should the reel line break. With a correctly set up helirig there is no chance of the fish being tethered to possibly yards of reel line in the event of a cut off as in the case with a running rig.

Last edited:

Reaction score
He says tench at the end of his post Peter.

Mrnab

Reaction score
Sorry not been around lately, just had a look over the posts and some good valid points. Considering i'm not fishing for big carp i guess i'm worrying over nothing.

Reaction score
Let's be honest,if you were fishing for very large fish indeed,you would only have to retie a new rig after every fish to ensure a sound set up,I wouldn't recast a rig after playing a large fish in weed,or snags without giving it a once over,even at night,too dodgy.