Run out of bait but not out of time. What did you do?

bleak

Reaction score
Decades ago 'I was on the run' from an angry wife . I spent a couple of unprepared days fishing a deserted gravel pit - now known as Willow lakes - near my home in Hertfordshire. I ran out bait just as the very wild fish were biting. I was on the edge of a cattle pasture, had a little wander about , kicked a dry cow turd and hey-ho big fat grubs underneath. Brilliant weekends fishing after that find...

mikench

Reaction score
As long as the car isn't too far away , I never run out of bait.:rolleyes: i cannot just take what I need but everything I might need. Running away to France sounds a good idea!:)

Reaction score
As long as the car isn't too far away , I never run out of bait.:rolleyes: i cannot just take what I need but everything I might need. Running away to France sounds a good idea!:)

Really,with all those French people,lol...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I will often have a dig around with a bank stick for worms, not always easy to find though. Turn over an old log or two, often worms there and wood lice or slugs; anything crawly worth a try. Old bits of corrigated iron are good, always put them back though for next time if you need it and the logs, a little private bait store. Blackkberries or any berries in season worth a try if nothing else available. Better than going home.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Really,with all those French people,lol..

Funnily enough that's what our local french butcher said when told we wanted to live in France! He wanted to live in England and has retired and moved to Oxford! I said more or less the same thing in reverse.

We are not much different Alan which is hardly surprising really.

Reaction score
None of us are that different,it's each countries ways that vary,there is good and bad everywhere,seems as I get older there is just more bad...

flightliner

Reaction score
Back in the eighties me and a friend spent most of several winters carp fishing on the Trent.
Towards the end of the first winter we buried a large old fashioned square biscuit tin that we filled with spare leads, tins of sweetcorn, meat and boilies together with a tin opener just in case either of us forgot or needed more bait .
If needed it was always topped up on a following visit.
Away from that scenario on the times I have been desperate for bait my sandwhiches have often been a good standby!

rayner

Reaction score
I will often have a dig around with a bank stick for worms, not always easy to find though. Turn over an old log or two, often worms there and wood lice or slugs; anything crawly worth a try. Old bits of corrigated iron are good, always put them back though for next time if you need it and the logs, a little private bait store. Blackkberries or any berries in season worth a try if nothing else available. Better than going home.

This post reminds me of a trip to Ireland in the 80s. We were fishing Brackley close to Balinamore, running out of worm for the hook I went for a rummage and found loads of lobs. They were under every stone on the path through from the car park to the swim. Bream fishing went from poor to brilliant.

None of us are that different,it's each countries ways that vary,there is good and bad everywhere,seems as I get older there is just more bad...

Bang on whitty, that is apart from those over the channel. We are not much different to them who I don't mention, it's just we are a sight better.

john step

Reaction score
I always have a tin of meat and a tin of sweetcorn and a small bag of pellets in the car. I was a boy scout.

Reaction score
Very rare I carry loads of different baits these days,mainly because I don't care as much if I don't catch and prefer the challenge of trying to make it work,it's a bit like hemp and tare fishing,you always do better if you don't feed other baits imo.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Away from that scenario on the times I have been desperate for bait my sandwhiches have often been a good standby!

Done that many times flight, even had fish on tiny pieces of apple but the best one was bread pudding, used to pack away a big slice of it for my own consumption, all soft fruity and spicy, one day got low on bait and tried it on the hook and caught a load of carp.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't remember ever running out of bait but often under estimate how much groundbait I may need.
I either run out when I should be feeding more or mix too much only to find it's not needed.

Reaction score
My mate was struggling one day,so stopped and had some grub,finished off with a tangerine,anyway started fishing again with just an odd little rude to show,so he ripped a piece of peel and put it it out on his pole,almost immediately down went the float and after a short fight he landed a perch well over two pounds,during that session he caught several decent perch,plus skimmers on the peel,he ran out in the end,he has since then caught some good bonus fish on peel,never as many as that day but caught on it none the less...

Another Dave

Reaction score
Decades ago 'I was on the run' from an angry wife . I spent a couple of unprepared days fishing a deserted gravel pit - now known as Willow lakes - near my home in Hertfordshire. I ran out bait just as the very wild fish were biting. I was on the edge of a cattle pasture, had a little wander about , kicked a dry cow turd and hey-ho big fat grubs underneath. Brilliant weekends fishing after that find...

What did you eat for those two days, dare I ask?

rayner

Reaction score
My mate was struggling one day,so stopped and had some grub,finished off with a tangerine,anyway started fishing again with just an odd little rude to show,so he ripped a piece of peel and put it it out on his pole,almost immediately down went the float and after a short fight he landed a perch well over two pounds,during that session he caught several decent perch,plus skimmers on the peel,he ran out in the end,he has since then caught some good bonus fish on peel,never as many as that day but caught on it none the less...

My neighbour has a pond in his garden, he often cuts an orange up to feed his fish in warmer months. His carp love them, peel and all.

Philip

Reaction score
This thread reminded me of when I was a kid, at the weekends me and my mates used to buy a pint of maggot between us and go down to a park lake.
For the first hour or so we could catch Roach by throwing in a good handful of maggots and dropping our float in with them and trying to hit the lightening bites. You had to feed each drop in else you would get nothing. Then as the bites trailed off we were left to fish out the entire rest of the day with about a dozen maggots left between us.

JONM14

Reaction score
My dad and I were running low on maggots on a local canal when I was younger. We had a competition to see how many gudgeon we could catch on a single maggot. Think I was in double figures before changing it.

I also once caught a 5lb barbel on a very chewed single maggot. Id unhooked another fish and dropped the hook as I turned round to put the fish in a keepnet and nearly had the rod pulled from under my arm.

Reaction score
I often plumb up with a swan shot at the end of the mainline,usually without a hook,one particular day I was fishing a lake near Wooton,Bedfordshire for the first time, I cast out around 3ft deep with a bare twenty hook on,the float sank out of sight,I wound in to find a 6oz rudd hanging on,next cast a similar sized perch,next another rudd,well I had six or seven fish in as many casts without being able to get the depth,I took the hook off,found the depth,around 5ft,put the hook back on and proceeded not to get another bite,wtf...

carpinbob

Reaction score
I always carry a tin of corn and meat in the boot just in case.