Wafters

maverick54

Reaction score
Got a tub of mainline cell match wafters 8mm and a tub of the ringers 6mm pellet wafters.

Must admit I've got very little confidence in them at all. I test them in a tub of water to make sure the hook is sinking them and they arn't floating. But never seem to have any success with them compared to a normal hard pellet.

Are they supposed to be used primarily for method feeder fishing or are they also suitable for straight lead fishing too?

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know what wafters are but I imagine from the name they are a critically balanced bait ie almost neutral weight in water.

If thats the case I dont see why their use would be limited to just the method.

I have used critically bamanced baits in the past but nowadays I just go one way or the other. Either nailed to the bottom or popped up good and proper.

mikench

Reaction score
A few weeks ago and on a miserable cold and windy day, I along with another dozen or so Hardy souls started to fish! Nobody bar one caught all day! The One arrived around 12 and said hello and asked my advice about setting up his feeder rod and pellet feeder! He said he had only ever float fished before.He had micros and a jar of the Ringers pellet wafters.

Frozen and bored I packed up and had a walk around a newly created lake chatting to a few disenchanted and equally frozen anglers. Nobody had caught. The new feeder guy caught a bream as I watched him and in the next hour or so as I chatted he caught at least another 6. Maybe beginners luck or the wafters; well never know! He may have been a namesake of those wafters!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I used a micro method yesterday, mini white wafters were the best bait by far. Chose feeder because of the perishing wind.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The CELL ones by Mainline are good, I've had load of fish on the method with them! I think in our pond it's the white colour and the fish think it's bread. By the time they realise it isn't they've bolted and it's too late. I also use Cell flavour on my expander pellets, after wetting them with water and drawing the air out, drain them and leave them in some Cell sticky syrup.

Reaction score
I don't think there is any one wafter that works all the time,usually it's colour related and the fished preferences an change during a session,I don't think flavour matters a jot,visability far more,I don't trust waters as they aren't consistent,so I tend to trim each one down slowly to ensure a very slow sink,I've caught a fair few fish on them,bream,carp and even odd catfish,the venues are natural,river and lake,with my preference being a pellet feeder,feeding micros.

Last edited:

maverick54

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I shall have the perfect chance to give them a final try tomorrow. Fishing a straight canal type pool with 4 islands down the middle. Its about a 20mtr chuck.

I aim to try a small method feeder and also a small pellet feeder. I will stick with the wafters for as long as I can to give them a proper workout.

If they fail they are going in the bin and its time reduce my hookbait options which often seems to over complicate my fishing.

Wish me luck :D

mikench

Reaction score
You’ve no chance and don’t listen to Markcw! Variety is the spice of life! Each bait may only catch you one fish but better then a blank! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpinbob

Reaction score
Bought a tub a few years ago had a couple of sessions with them caught nothing , haven’t used them since.

maverick54

Reaction score
Gave them a fair try today. Verdict............. They've gone in the bin.

No confidence in them at all. They may catch the odd fish but I'm convinced a normal hard pellet would have caught it anyway.

Best to stick to something I know works after all a huge part of fishing is having the confidence that your rig is presented correctly and that it has a proven track record and works.

They do say a lot of products are there to catch the angler and not the fish. How true! :rolleyes:

davebhoy

Reaction score
I’ve used them trimmed down with a method feeder for Bream and had 3 carp to 21lb on my club gravel pit in only a few trips when no one else has been catching. I think they’re just something a bit different from the usual boilies

I’ve done well with the bream as well

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
:rolleyes:A Fishomania qualifier at Gold Valley was won with the help of pink wafters, perhaps no one told the fish they are only for catching anglers.:thumbs:
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Lark

Reaction score
I've never used these but I've read about a lot of top anglers that have great success with them, predominantly with method and pellet feeders.
I saw a pretty interesting piece on YouTube recently pointing out one problem using Wafters with method feeders.
It clearly showed that if the hook is too light for effective presentation, the bait has a habit of drifting too far from the pile of pellets and or groundbait at the breakdown. In some cases they even used a No. 9 or 10 shot or Stotz just above the hook knot as a counterbalance.
They basically said that it's so important that the Wafter stays on top of the pile as it breaks down.
I can definitely see the logic in this and how important this would be on a competitive commercial water.
Personally I've found that bog-standard pellets, mini-boilies, band-ums and soft pellets have worked okay and I've yet to be tempted to use Wafters on my club waters or pits... as yet.

John Keane

Reaction score
Used virtually nothing but Ringers Chocolate Orange 6mm Wafters on Method and Pellet feeders for the past 3 or 4 years. Best bait I’ve ever used, never fails to pick up fish and often into double figure numbers.

Can’t resist taking a deep sniff every time I take the lid off the tub - wonderful.

peterjg

Reaction score
Used virtually nothing but Ringers Chocolate Orange 6mm Wafters on Method and Pellet feeders for the past 3 or 4 years. Best bait I’ve ever used, never fails to pick up fish and often into double figure numbers.

Can’t resist taking a deep sniff every time I take the lid off the tub - wonderful.

John, can I ask: do you catch roach on them and how long do they last in water? Thanks.

John Keane

Reaction score
John, can I ask: do you catch roach on them and how long do they last in water? Thanks.

Don’t get many roach on them but it’s primarily a carp/F1 water anyway. They last for AGES on a band and, if you didn’t lose the occasional one in a fish, you could get away with a couple a day. The 10mm boilie/bandum mixed tubs are worth having too for a change bait on the bomb.