The lure of joining more and more fishing clubs...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I've looked on Tring Anglers website and have just read that you can't have a oap concession until you start drawing your state pension,robbing b@stards,especially when you can be pretty sure more than half the committee have been drawing concession tickets...

WTF! I had to read this post twice in disbelief.
If you're that bothered about £20 a year, then make unfounded accusations about the committee, it's probably best you steer clear...

Reaction score
Probably is if the club is run by idiots,if you think it's right that an angler who was 65 a year ago can carry on paying a concessionary rate,when someone will carry on till after he is 67,your denuded,they have already admitted that men don't live longer,like they first thought,it is only a way of not paying a pension that the worker has paid for in his NI stamp,I have no problem if the club takes the concessionary ticket away completely,at least it would be bloody fair to all...just to add,how many of the committee are over 65?it would be a very rare situation if there weren't a good few,fairness is my gripe,it you need twenty quid I'd send it willingly,does the club need it that much to charge unfairly?

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Somerley River and Lake syndicate plus Ringwood ADAS is all I need to keep me occupied.

When retirement arrives in the near future I may feel the need to add something else, but right now all is fine and dandy.

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm a member of pass, not much point in joining any other club as I have all I need, though at a distance.
Visited my favourite lake last week, arrived lunchtime Wednesday and left Saturday morning (with my camper van, don't do bivvy), not a single other angler on the lake all that time. Fine with me :)

Reaction score
Somerley River and Lake syndicate plus Ringwood ADAS is all I need to keep me occupied.

When retirement arrives in the near future I may feel the need to add something else, but right now all is fine and dandy.

Terry,you have a piece of heaven in the Somerley estate,I loved Ellingham when it was under the Christchurch ticket.

Reaction score
I'm a member of pass, not much point in joining any other club as I have all I need, though at a distance.
Visited my favourite lake last week, arrived lunchtime Wednesday and left Saturday morning (with my camper van, don't do bivvy), not a single other angler on the lake all that time. Fine with me :)

Excuse my ignorance but what does PASS stand for mate?

steve2

Reaction score
I've looked on Tring Anglers website and have just read that you can't have a oap concession until you start drawing your state pension,robbing b@stards,especially when you can be pretty sure more than half the committee have been drawing concession tickets,that means when the poor beggars that have to work until they are 67-68 ,won't be given an equal opportunity and I might possibly not be long before a lot snuff it,ridiculous imv,but there you go...

Can't see a problem with this both my clubs have the same policy OAP is drawing state pension. I retired on a pension at 57 but didn’t get OAP rates for another 8 years and didn’t expect to.
They have also done away with the cheaper ladies membership.

Reaction score
So you don't see a problem of one person being 65 last Christmas getting a concession when someone who is 65 in July won't get one until next March or another who is 65 in December having to wait until he's 67 because of government pension age changes,as I say,do away with concessions altogether,that's fine,but by being what I consider inconsistent causes a fairness issue,it's not if you retire before 65,it's the availability of a stable fair system I'm looking for,if it was just for 70 plus oap's that's acceptable too.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I see what you're driving at. But the picture has always been inconsistent. In one club you get discount for age or disability, in another for age only, in another, none. Some ask to see documentary evidence via a secretary; others sell their books via tackle dealers who don't bother to check your credentials. I tend to think any reduction is a bonus, and the main issue is to get access to some decent water, concessions or not. Considering how much we spend on gear (I mean collectively and generally) the cost of the actual fishing often seems relatively low to me. Putting it crudely, if I had to chose, I'd much rather be fishing an inspiring or brilliant but expensive water with average gear than waving a state of the art rod over some mediocre fishery. I'd put the money in the ticket rather than the tackle if I could find a club with the kind of fishing I like.

Reaction score
I would join a club if there were no reduction,or there was,greed by following our greedy governments ideals,this making inconsistency I wouldnt,that's me,I would pay to be a member of Ringwood happily if I could get the usage out of it,but distance is very prohibitive,the club I'm joining has a rule that you can't get a concession until you've been a member for five years,that's ok,it's a clearcut,same for anyone type of ruling.

stripey

Reaction score
I have three club books at the moment,Swadlincote AA which i joined back in 1976 and will be a member until the grim reaper calls me, because they have two good stretches of the upper trent and five good stillwaters and is a well run club, also i have a coors ac book who have six very good sections of the upper trent in and around Burton on Trent, three sections of the Trent and Mersey canal and a stillwater, the other ticket is a match group stillwater which is the one ticket i may give up after this coming season, because the water does not seem to be looked after very well.

terry m

Reaction score
Terry,you have a piece of heaven in the Somerley estate,I loved Ellingham when it was under the Christchurch ticket.

It is indeed a special place. I reckon to spend 60% of all my angling time somewhere on Somerley. And, being less than 15 minutes from my home is an extra bonus!!
:cool:

The Sogster

Reaction score
I pay £12 a year for one stretch of river close to home. Fantastic value with barbel to potential mid doubles.

For my other club I choose to pay the highest rate, this year £153 for 6 ponds in beautiful surroundings this also includes a second book with some great canal fishing, another stretch of river and a secure gated pond.
I could pay around £53 for the same access less one pond but would rather the club have funds.

I would add that these are full adult rates, can't wait until I qualify for concessions :)

Reaction score
It is indeed a special place. I reckon to spend 60% of all my angling time somewhere on Somerley. And, being less than 15 minutes from my home is an extra bonus!!
:cool:

Jealousy is running through my veins at this very moment...:p

The bad one

Reaction score
It done me fine for nearly 45 years :eek:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
More and more clubs will have to reduce or remove age concessions. Over 40% of my clubs membership qualify. The president said at the AGM that the number qualifying goes up by 3 to 4% every year. It won’t be long before the concessionary price is the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk