The lure of joining more and more fishing clubs...

rich66

Reaction score
More and more clubs will have to reduce or remove age concessions. Over 40% of my clubs membership qualify. The president said at the AGM that the number qualifying goes up by 3 to 4% every year. It won’t be long before the concessionary price is the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on
Last year the committee on ours decided that was the last year for concessions, more 1/2 price tickets than full ones being sold. Juniors will still get a reduction, though the senior anglers won’t.

Reaction score
I agree with you Ray,one of the club's I'm a member of has raised the price of its oap books,I get all of that,but consistency is the key,you pay or you don't pay,or the age is set,set for all,not all over the place like the state pension age,as I've said it I had to pay three times the adult rate of my club,I would,but the price is set by committee,why not the age...

theartist

Reaction score
I agree with you Ray,one of the club's I'm a member of has raised the price of its oap books,I get all of that,but consistency is the key,you pay or you don't pay,or the age is set,set for all,not all over the place like the state pension age,as I've said it I had to pay three times the adult rate of my club,I would,but the price is set by committee,why not the age...

What PC failed to mention about Tring is that they are a nice bunch(all the one's I've met on the bank are) plus they all live to around 100 years old. This is because many of their waters are very peaceful, tranquil and one is very close to a large dairy. Traditionally a lady gives them all free milk when you fish behind it on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that's a health benefit right there too. The robbing Barstewards you mention are the likes of myself from other clubs who fish the stretch on day ticket just to get the free milk from the lady, her jugs have got bigger as she needs more milk each year as their is more of us, but it's great to see her coming.

I think in comparison their OAP discount makes sense

Reaction score
I've no doubt the club is great,I walked the Wendover arm on Monday afternnon,looked brilliant(apart from the amount of sunshine),don't know how it fishes. As far as I'm concerned clubs want to take your money to survive,anglers in the main are a friendly bunch,I still say it's wrong to charge two 65 year olds a different tariff,why not just make it 66 and make it plain,there would still be moaning,but it would be plain and simple...

Reaction score
I didn't mean to offend you or your club in any way,shape or form Simon and afterwards upon rereading my post I could have worded it far better(and tactfully),the damage had been done by then and editing it would have left your post floating,it's a funny thing but unless your in the right age bracket,you don't actually see the strangeness of it...

Lark

Reaction score
I've got the dilemma of re-joining a club(s) for this coming season due to being away from angling since the end of 2015 due to a persistent injury. I had four clubs back then, but at least two of them will now require a joining fee as I've been away from them for more than a year. It's noticeable that the number of members seem to have dropped quite considerably and prices have gone up quite drastically.
I'm lucky that I have one very good club to which I get a complimentary ticket. This club is also an associate member to another very good organisation.
Many of their venues are rivers though and I'm worried about the negative stories I'm hearing about the terrible decline of our local rivers. In all fairness, they were pretty hard work back in 2015.
I'm probably going to go for one more additional club. A ticket I always wanted but up until relatively recently had a proximity restriction. This has now been lifted... with the obligatory price-hike for 'Associate Membership', which is fair enough if that's what they need to do to survive.
With joining fee, associate member surcharge, two-rod surcharge and key charge it comes to about £140....
I'm still ruminating a bit over the various options as I have to make sure that having forked-out that much that I can get the best out of it until June 2020.
But I guess this is what most of us are having to do each season for one reason or another.

steve2

Reaction score
I agree, I see a time when all concession prices will have to be cut because of the lack of new younger members. Would I pay full price to my clubs, yes and I think most OAP's judging by what I see have enough spare cash to pay.
Like I have said before fishing is cheap even if a club charges £100+ a year.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that OAP concessions have got a very limited shelf life. In so many instances, clubs issue more concessionary tickets than full priced adult ones, and it's increasing. In the days of decreasing incomes and increasing rents, that simply isn't sustainable. I suspect that the only reason that many clubs hang on to OAP concessions is that most committees are made up of a significant number of OAPs, or those very close to being OAPs.

I understand why OAP concessions existed. The concept was a nice one even twenty to thirty years ago. These days, I'm not remotely convinced. I suspect that an awful lot of the members paying full whack are poorer than the bulk of the OAPs that they are subsidising. I also suspect that they'll end up being poorer when they end up as OAPs than the current generation of pensioners.

OAP concessions were a wonderful altruistic thing. However, I suspect that time and circumstance has made them a bit of an anachronism.

Reaction score
I've posted on the wrong thread(tablet jumped)and couldn't delete it,so......

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
And why not? A few members of one of my clubs and who I see regularly are also members of a club in my backyard with 5 pools in a clump about 10 minutes away. I had enquired about it over 3 years ago when I started fishing and was put off by being asked why I would want to have a look at the waters and their access etc. B**** obvious i would have thought. I received an email a few weeks ago from this club saying that they were considering taking on new members and would I like to apply. My mates above told me not to bother as the fishing was poor and only one of the waters offered anything like good fishing. They were not going to renew!

I'm happy with the two clubs I have and I cannot do either justice.

Reaction score
None us can Mike,we like to think we can,but....
On a similar note,I was fishing a peg yesterday,on the slider at around 10m,feeding along the rushes to my left hoping for tench to creep in,three did but didn't settle on the feed,stewed wheat and 6mm pellets,anyway mid-afternoon a guy came yomping around the lake,put his tackle down and proceeded to tell me he had bagged the evening previous fishing down both right and left margins with tench and perch,I congratulated him and disappointed he disappeared to the far bank,when I packed I could see him rushing to get his gear packed to drop into the swim,I had to chuckle,the lake has a reputation of fishing one day and being garbage the next,I hope he caught,but I have my doubts.I had the feeling he considered me a fool for fishing the float,I on the other hand would rather work hard for my fish on the float than fish two rods on buzzers,hey-ho.