Ninja doubts

Reaction score
Yes Mike,at a fiver cheaper I talked her into it...:love::wink-new:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Agree with that. Although in this case it was for the opposite reason I started the thread...the Ninja has endless people singing its praises but (at least to me) it does not really have anything that makes it standout from a number of other reels in the same price bracket so I as trying to get my head round what exactly made it so popular.

Such things border on being inexplicable. However, never underestimate the power of a forum bandwagon. There's been more than the odd relatively poor rod or reel that's been gushed over by unfeasibly large numbers of people on forums down the years.

Have you seen the Daiwa Matchwinners I've posted on the "Bargains...." thread?
They do come with a spare spool and a specification way beyond the £50 (ish) Daiwa reels. I bought one a week or two back. I was wondering about buying another spare spool (£35) when I found out that the price had dropped another tenner. At £75 it made more sense to get another reel! They are one step down from the TDX, the only differences I can see being the body material (Carbon polymer for the TDX, alloy for the Matchwinner, and "Mag Sealed". The snag is that only 2508 size is available at this price, but it's a decent size (and weight) for a 13'+ float rod. I suspect that there will be some anglers that prefer the prospect of an alloy body over a polymer one.

Daiwa Matchwinner (Single handle)

Daiwa Matchwinner (Double handle)

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I had set myself a budget of £50 simply because I feel in this day & age I should be able to get a good reel for that however I would go more if something extra special came along ...this is certainly tempting.

Whats a little annoying is that just over a week ago I made a completely illogical impulse purchase of a Garbolino reel (yes I know it makes no sense whatsoever) which they had knocked down to a silly price in a clearance at a local shop. Whats makes it especially silly is that I have never owned a Garbolino reel, know nothing about them, did no research whatsoever but it was the right size, had a shallow good sized spool, came with a spare spool, felt ok so I thought what the heck & brought it as I had nothing to lose at the price.

I wasnt expecting much but the "annoying" part is that i used it for the first time last week and I actually liked it ! Literally within 3 casts I forget it was a new reel, it felt that ok. I have no idea if it will fall apart or grind to a halt in the next few trips but I already like it 1000x better than the Drennan FD sitting in my tackle draw.

The point being that I have so many reels now I really need to draw a line & just stop myself.

...I think...

Reaction score
I'll message my address and you can send me your spares Philip,lol.;)

rayner

Reaction score
I've looked at the 3012A and for less than fifty quid it looks and feels decent. What strength lines are owners using on the reel, though the handle looks a little slim.
I could have read through the guff but I think I prefer anglers views.

Reaction score
I've got two,I have two spools loaded with 3 and 6lb line for float fishing,the other with 8 and 12lb,the 8 for feedering,the 12lb for barbel,carp and tench in weedy tight spots,or mini spodding,seems to handle the fishing side ok,haven't tried the spodding part yet.