Ninja doubts

mikench

Reaction score
Whatever you buy in life whether it be a commodity like fishing tackle , clothing or something to eat and drink, there will always be variances in quality and longevity! The same goes for our fellow man!

Products these days are not built to last particularly if they are stuffed with technology. If people bought mobile phones and cars like we might buy rods and reels then there wouldn't be the choice we have now nor the relative low prices .We might buy a Shimano or Daiwa rod made 20 years ago but we would not buy a washing machine , phone or shaver that was 20 years old.

Opinions are merely that and there will always be those who have to have the latest car, air rifle, hairstyle or item of clothing! There is always the latest pub or restaurant or holiday destination all being marketed to catch us and persuade us to part with our money. But then what is money for if it isn't to spend? It's b***** useless for anything else.

I'll bet we couldnt get anywhere near a consensus on best beer, most attractive woman, best food, best holiday destination, best car and so on. The truth is we all secretly want to think we have bought with our hard earned the very best money can buy. If we all bought the same life would be unbearable. Vive la différence!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I'd hate to wake up and find someone had secretly put sensor on my spools.:scared:

One would do it with aplomb Alan not secretly! A much maligned line ; and if that doesn't prompt Tigger to leave his crochet class early , nothing will:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Bloody wouldnt,I'd snatch my gear back,like a flash,might damage my ninja...

Philip

Reaction score
Philip I suspect you may be in France at the moment! I popped into my local Decathlon for some bait and had a look at the Revros reel in 1000 size at €50 and the Ninja in 3000 size for €55.

I don't know which size you want but on a simple play I'd go for the Ninja!

The prices vary Mike.

Price aside did you try the Ravros ? …I would be very surprised if you did not notice the difference between the two reels if you played with them side by side…

I have a couple of
Nexave FD 4000's
What do you think of them ?

About Shimano ...whether a fan or not I think they did bring a different angle on reels to the mass market by making things like the bait runner, fighting drag and so on widely available. I also liked their two speed line lay feature (Areospin?) …no idea if thats still done on reels as no one mentions it. I thought the basic concept was a good one.

mikench

Reaction score
The reels were different sizes but I couldn’t discern any differences not that I spent a great deal of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Reels are a bit like jam. Some you cannot take to at all because they are too runny or just don't look appetising and others are rather nice particularly for their price point ! I have bought artisan jams, homemade jams and stupidly priced jams but I keep coming back to jams in my local supermarket which are cheap and , in my opinion just as good!

Where my analogy breaks down is on longevity. A jar of jam is gone in a week or so whereas a reel should last you several years and clearly there are many that do and did. If a reel doesn't have a good line lay and if line is prone to come off like a slinky on the stairs, then I go off it. I will respool but if that doesn't cure it , the reel is consigned to a drawer. Some reels like those I have mentioned just look and feel right straight out of the box.

Like jam I might like it but you may not! It's only money and not a great deal at that.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If a reel doesn't have a good line lay and if line is prone to come off like a slinky on the stairs, then I go off it. I will respool but if that doesn't cure it , the reel is consigned to a drawer.

When line comes off like a slinky it isn't the fault of the reel. The spools line is supplied on are generally bigger in diameter than spools on reels. Having been stored on a spool until it is put on a reel, the line's memory is still there. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, new line needs to be stretched before use to eliminate that memory. Tigger has frequently said he ties new line to a fence post and walks it away as far as possible and gives it a good stretch.
Give it a try before consigning a reel to a drawer.

nottskev

Reaction score
mikench;1490271 A jar of jam is gone in a week or so .[/QUOTE said:
What are you doing with all this jam, Mike? Eating it with a spoon?

mikench

Reaction score
There's at least two of us Kev and I like it with my croissant ! I love jam and at my age I'm unconcerned at the expense!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Just to add,I'm 65 in July and I've submitted a request for another Ninja 3012a for my birthday,luvly jubbly...

Last edited:

Reaction score
I used a shimano techium 3000 yesterday,been using it for a while,just believe a larger diameter spool gets less memory on the line, which the 3012a has.

puffer_

Reaction score
I've had a 3012 match/feeder version for a year or so. It's been a solid reel, good in all respects and very reliable, but it's never been a reel I fell in love with, unlike some other reels like my trusty Shimmy 5000RE. I do prefer the Legalis to the Ninja, but it is a good solid reel.

Can't really grumble at it's price point though.

Reaction score
Well there are many things that people think oozes quality and some get a 'feel' that is in error,because often the gear ratio is faster and there are more bearings that give this feel,I don't like fast retrieve reels,they impart twist in hook links in particular,mainly because of the higher ratio,at 4.7 to 1 the ninja is about as fast as I want,everyone to their own,but thats me,I've said this before,but I'd rather spend £200 on four identical reels,amassing eight spare spools and storing two reels at home for a rainy day,if they are decent enough bits of kit. Let's be honest there are quite a few anglers still using Mitchell matches and 300's and they were rubbished 25 years ago...

silvers

Reaction score
Let's be honest there are quite a few anglers still using Mitchell matches and 300's and they were rubbished 25 years ago...

You called Alan?

Has the new rod arrived yet and if so what do you think?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Hi Alex,didn't expect a nibble that quick,to be honest that wasn't aimed directly at you,there are other disciples,lol.
Yes mate,the came monday,if you look I've done a little review on it,just to say I'm impressed,it is slightly more pokey than the Avenger 2000,but not too much,quite forgiving in action,how they do it for the money is a mystery to me...

Philip

Reaction score
I do prefer the Legalis to the Ninja, but it is a good solid reel.

The Legalis was another I liked the look of more than the Ninja but again based on just a play around in the shop. Not the same price of course but not such a massive difference either...