Newbie Fishing

James.Wray89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope everyone's well and had a nice weekend.

I have recently got into fishing after my dad who has been fishing for about 20 odd years finally persuaded me at the age of 30 to get my own rods & gear.

I recently bought a John Wilson signature Barbel quiver rod. My dad helped me set it all up. We used 10lb Drennan ESP Syncro XT line and I fished with a 50g method set up. First cast line snapped, so swapped down to a 30g method and line snapped again. Went down to a 24g method and it was fine but distance wise it wasn't worth it.

He couldn't understand why - he's always carp fished so wasn't familiar with a quiver rod.

Could anyone suggest a good set up for me to use? I'm going to be changing it over to a 2oz Drennan inline maggot feeder and hope that won't snap and I'll be able to get a decent cast.

It's a lovely rod just obviously not got the right idea for what it's purpose is. I've got two Fox Warrior rods also which I will be using next session until I get rt the quiver right .

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance,but is that a second hand rod,if so check the rings for wear,grooves etc....

john step

Reaction score
I agree with whitty. Something seems wrong. I dont know that particular line but 10lb should not snap like that with only a 50gm feeder.
After checking the rings and the pick up roller on the bail arm for defects I would ask if the line is one of those thin no stretch lines?.

I have a JW barbel rod. Its a 1.7lb test curve and I have abused it with casting weights that I should know better and not had any snap offs.
Are you built like Arny ?

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Like John and Whitty have already suggested; run your fingernail around the rods rings and look at them closely to search for cracks or wear and look for defects on the reels pickup and pickup roller and also look at the spool lip on your reel for defects.

Unless your line is around 20 years old (or older) and has been stored in full sunlight. 10lb line shouldn’t part on a 50g (1.76oz) feeder (or lead) during the cast; unless you are casting with your bailarm closed, and even then it would be fairly difficult.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I recognise the line you're using. I've got a 1000m spool of it here, and I've used it for a couple of years to cast leads heavier than your feeder and pull big barbel out of the Trent. It's a tough line. I can't quite see how or why you're suffering line breakages - is it possible the line is old and damaged, or has been weakened by being stored in sunlight? If i couldn't see any other reason, I'd ditch the line and put some new on the reel.

A broken ring or a reel fault may be the cause, as has been suggested, but you'd expect those to wear the line over the course of use, or cause a break when playing a fish, rather than cause a break on the cast.

You've asked about a good set-up. Well, if you're after fair-sized carp, there's not much wrong with using your barbel rod and method feeder; it's a fairly beefy set up, and a bit over-powered for the average commercial carp lake, but should be ok. The priority would be to pin down why your line breaks when you cast out.

If you're not after big carp, but out for some general mixed feeder fishing for smaller carp, bream etc, I would say you would get something more attuned to it with a lighter feeder rod and a reel loaded with 6lb line - that's a more normal set up for most popular waters that aren't geared to big carp.

James.Wray89

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your responses. I checked the rod which it was sold to me brand new and there were no cracks or defects with it. I'm now thinking the reel which I had bought second hand off of eBay which is a 'Shimano Alvio 4000 R' may be the cause of the snaps. Hopefully I can get the rod set up perfectly so I can use it as I enjoy the quiver tipping method.

john step

Reaction score
I have just remembered. I once bought a fixed spool reel and when new the line kept getting cut. I( cannot remember the make.

Check the screw that tightens the roller on the bail arm. It may be loose and the line gets trapped beside it cutting it on casting.

Use a spare piece of line the see if you can trap it deliberately. Also, just because the rod was new dont take it as gospel that there are no cracks in the rings.

Failing all that buy a bulk spool of proper line.............Sensor............that will upset a few on here.:wh

Reaction score
I have just remembered. I once bought a fixed spool reel and when new the line kept getting cut. I( cannot remember the make.

Check the screw that tightens the roller on the bail arm. It may be loose and the line gets trapped beside it cutting it on casting.

Use a spare piece of line the see if you can trap it deliberately. Also, just because the rod was new dont take it as gospel that there are no cracks in the rings.

Failing all that buy a bulk spool of proper line.............Sensor............that will upset a few on here.:wh

I was going to click likes for this post until the last bit...wash your mouth out sir....:D

mikench

Reaction score
Sensor would be perfect in 6lb bs. Come on Tigger where are you when your favourite line needs you?;):)

Reaction score
For what,sewing your furniture up,lol...