Christchurch Angling Club

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
hi folks

I'm looking for a bit of feedback on the waters controlled by Christchurch Angling club. Is anyone on here a member? If so, how highly do you rate the waters they have on offer? I'm particularly interested in Holtwood pools, Hucklesbrook, Wainsford and the Ibsley pools and stream, along with pretty much all of the river stretches.

Let me give you a bit of background on my interest.... I have a "notable" birthday coming up this year, and I've negotiated a 5 day fishing holiday with the home office. Kicking this around with two or three of my angling friends (with whom I regularly go away with for a weekend, usually the Wye if its rivers or just somewhere with decent accommodation near the venue for lakes), we had a couple of ideas thrown in to the pot, like Ebro catfish or French carp or something out of the sea in Scandinavia. However, what kept happening was that i'd realise I don't particularly WANT to catch any of these. "So what do you want?" was the question put to me by my friends.

Well, what I really want was a few different species that are pretty thin on the ground locally to me. I definitely want to catch some crucians. I would definitely like to catch some tench. I like barbel and big perch and chub, really anything decent that comes out of a river.

However, more importantly - I like natural-feeling venues with overhanging trees and abundant wildlife and where possible as little road noise as can be managed. We don't go the full-on split-cane, centrepin and floppy hat, but definitely I'd like things to be a bit Crabtree, if that makes sense?

It seems that some of the Christchurch venues would fit the bill, but i'd love to hear some views on that from people who actually fish them regularly. Thing is, Christchurch do a 7 day holiday membership card that would give us access to everything they have - which I think would keep us busy for 5 days! It would also give me a chance to tick off a bucket-list river - the Hampshire Avon.

Plan would probably be to fish in late September. Would the river still be very choked with weed then? Are those lakes I've mentioned as good as the website blurb would suggest or are they seriously past their heyday? Any feedback anyone has would be very gratefully received.

thanks in advance
Jim

Reaction score
PM Mark Wintle,he is a member Jim,not sure he fishes the venues,but he must know a man who does...

terry m

Reaction score
I was a CAC member until recently.

Whilst some of the waters that you list are fair/decent, I advise you to go to the Ebro and really enjoy yourself.

bracket

Reaction score
Jim. I am a current member of Christchurch and fish Holtwood regularly. If Mark can't answer all your queries please feel free to PM me. Pete.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Go for it Jim, and let us know how you get on, keep expectations lower than normal Wye levels and just soak up somewhere different. Any holiday punt is one worth taking even if you know not what lies downstream

Reaction score
I was a member of Christchurch for quite a few years,but not for lakes I'm afraid...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Similarly I'm also a member of CAC having rejoined last year (previously a member since childhood and for several decades in the last century :)).

I'm sure Mark Wintle will give you the updated position, I fished with him at Wainsford a few weeks ago. I've also fished Holtwood recently. But I tend to concentrate on the rivers and there's plenty of opportunities on their Stour and Avon venues. However, both rivers change considerably throughout the season and I definitely have a preference for autumn/winter!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Just had good chat with Mark, I think it sounds like the venues will definitely work and give us a really good diverse choice of fishing. Doing something different every day sounds good!