13' float rod

dalesman

Reaction score
I asking for a young lad in the village, hes looking for his first float rod. He been able to save up £80 for a new rod and any suggestions.

I have given a reel and some terminal bits and bobs.

john step

Reaction score
Do you know where he will be fishing? General waggler or top and bottom for silvers/tench/bream or will he be on a commie where a beefier float rod would stand up to the rigours?
I have seen Daiwa Ninja 13ft match rods for under £60.
For £39.99 I have seen Shakey Supra Sigma 13 footers and the power version for £44.99.

I dont think he would need to spend the full £80 on a first rod?

Those that float fish commies for carp will know better than I do which float rod would suit if thats the venue type.

mikench

Reaction score
I’ll stick with my original suggestion. A Matchpro ultralight could be had second hand within budget.

daniel121

Reaction score
I'm a little out of touch with the modern kit nowadays, showing my age I guess. However I do know Shakespeare tackle of 2008 time was exceptional in the price bracket you speak of

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you need a backup rod try the Neoteric power float 13ft (four piece) is a great budget rod

Last edited:

hawb811

Reaction score
the matchpro ultralight thats been recommended, is it capable of landing hard fighting fish as well as silvers

rich66

Reaction score
the matchpro ultralight thats been recommended, is it capable of landing hard fighting fish as well as silvers

I’ve got the 15’ version, pretty sure it’d be ok for something bigger. I’ve had 3lb bream on it, not hard fighting I give you.

I’ve a 13’ Daiwa Harrier Match ( cost me £80) for my day to day float work. Landed a 16lb carp this week without too much difficulty, the rod behaved very well under pressure. I think they have been superseded by the Ninja range of rods. Which are around £40 from angling direct

Molehill

Reaction score
If he is a beginner then something not too fragile in the tip, so he has a bit of leeway for the mistakes he might make?

No suggestions I'm afraid.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a 12' matchpro and I bought it for silvers and it hasn't disappointed. Errant carp are inevitable and I managed a 10 lb common without much fuss and with a size 18 hook and 3 lb hooklength . This capture gave me confidence in the rod. I have had Stillwater Chub to over 4lb with it as well.

On further reflection I would consider a Darent Valley 0.75 tc light Avon rod which are a snip at £40 from The Tackle box based in Dartford Kent. I have float and feeder fished with it and had all kinds from roach and Rudd to carp over 12lb. If the lad progresses he can then get a matchpro but I guarantee he will keep hold of the DV.