Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  92
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Witty. That is before a pint. After a pint you don't want to know me. Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Vicos View Post
    Where did float fishing the margin go?, feelining?, touch legering and quivertipping with one rod?
    It didnt go anywhere. The only thing thats changed is your perspective based on looking at what other people are doing. Dont look at them and continue to do whatever you enjoy and let them do what they enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It didnt go anywhere. The only thing thats changed is your perspective based on looking at what other people are doing. Dont look at them and continue to do whatever you enjoy and let them do what they enjoy.
    Pretty much sums up my feelings too.

Live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sums my views too. I mean we all look back and miss the old days in one way or another. Some folk miss a Trent full of roach, with 100 peg matches, others the price of a pint or when their football team was good.
    But none of the changes, either good or bad, stop you carrying on how you want to. Even if your the last person alive that trots a stick down a river, it doesn't stop you enjoying it all the same. I know I'll always start a session on a waggler for roach, regardless of venue. And I'll still fish small rivers and park lakes regardless of 'easy' commercial fisheries. (I do fish them too)

Easier said than done I know, but just enjoy your own fishing. take enjoyment out of what you do and sod the rest!

Yes I'm not bivvie fan but as I found out when faced with windy conditions they do keep all tackel in one place. That's one advantage so I might get one?, but sorry as to regards to sleeping in one............no chance, early'ish in the morn does me

Just one other thing to add to this... I bet there's a lot of us (ok I'm going to say it, OLDER) anglers who served an apprenticeship catching little fish on streams and canals who then maybe graduated to match fishing and then maybe on to "specimen" fishing, looking at "the kids of today" who go straight in to the carp fishing world of two/ three alarms, bivvies etc saying - They haven't learnt how to do it "properly"!! But who's to say that those instant carpers won't get older and then suddenly discover the wonders of tench or crucians or big roach or grayling? Or maybe they won't, they might just fish for carp for a few seasons and then give it up... but really that no different to the kid in the 70s or 80s that you used to go with loads who just lost the enthusiasm once cars/girls/whatever else kicked in?

As long as people are respectful and truly enjoy what they do then fair play. Enjoy it.

7. Default Re: Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

I can't really say I agree with the start of this thread... It's what I was seeing over ten years ago but not now. Perhaps it's the waters you're fishing, from what I have seen over the last few years is a complete move in the opposite direction, light weight roving Anglers on rivers, canals and still waters.

I feel like it started with a big push for ultra light tactics for preditors and has moved to a resurgence for roving techniques on moving waters and stalking along with what seems like a huge resurgence in float and quiver techniques on still waters.
    Last edited by valetudoguy; 10-06-2019 at 17:22.

Blog Entries

It would be nice to think so,because there are a lot of skills being lost from where I'm sitting and as more of pass,they will be gone,apart from the odd angler.

New skills are also being gained that the "Masters" of yesteryear never even had .....spodding, hair rigs, understanding why bolt rigs work, , fish welfare, better understanding of watercraft & species location (and not blindly following Crabtree advice), line concealment, tackle developments, bait advancements....to name just some.

What skills EXACTLY are being "lost" ?

Float fishing ? ...nope, loads still do it, its not that difficult.. ..trotting ?...nope....loads still do it , its not that difficult..touch ledgering ? ...nope, loads still do it, its not that difficult....even using a centerpin...more popular today than ever.

Lets get real here. Very few skills are actually being lost..they are being recycled and some get less popular for a period of time while new skills and better understanding are being added continually.

Blog Entries

I've returned to angling following 30+ years away. Last week after school, I took my little girl fishing, in the park lake in Liverpool I was obsessed with as a youngster. We fed the swim I would fish every day as a schoolboy in the summer holidays, with exactly the same ground bait; crushed shredded wheat, toasted stale breadcrumb & digestive biscuit crumbs.

A lovely evening was had, ten nice little crucians between us, all falling to float fished bread flake or sweet corn.

It made no difference to our enjoyment that the few other anglers there were in their bivvies, multiple rods on buzzers. We had very basic tackle and bait, but had a magical couple of hours. I suspect this is a very common experience but reporting it will not sell the latest must have gadgets or tackle. Yet this is how my love of angling and nature began as a child, no words were needed to inform me this is how my daughter feels.

A joyless experience? Not this one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast