Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  92
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

...yep u2..

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot.

I had a joyless (in catching fish sense) session last night trotting on the Hants Avon but it was magical. Standing in the middle of the river late into the evening few small dace, chub stayed away. Would do it every day if I could. Modern fishing, a joyless experience?-img_0337.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andylab View Post
    I had a joyless (in catching fish sense) session last night trotting on the Hants Avon but it was magical. Standing in the middle of the river late into the evening few small dace, chub stayed away. Would do it every day if I could. Modern fishing, a joyless experience?-img_0337.jpg
    Andylab-- I would give my eyeteeth to live so close to the Avon and Stour!

Blog Entries

There's loads of yorkies fishing down there Mick...

Grass is always greener Mick ??
    I had a week on it a year or two back. Salisbury traffic made the M25 that Skippy rants about seem like a free flowing dream
    Last edited by john step; 19-06-2019 at 18:22.

I know the grass is greener, and so on, but I sometimes wish my fishing sessions started with "I'd been watching a group of barbel silhouetted against the clean gravel between the lush weedbeds". Instead of "I stared out across the 80 metres of tea-coloured 10 'deep water and wondered if there were any fish in front of me". It would also be nice, I imagine, to stand next to the water on a flat grassy bank instead of climbing and sliding down a 30' embankment and wondering, if I haven't fallen in off the ledge I'm perched on, how I'm going to get back up. The traffic may be worse (although Nottingham traffic is a match for any) but those Avon and Stour scenes do make me wish sometimes.....

8. Default Re: Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

It’s easy to sneer at those that do it differently, but at the end of the day we are all anglers and we are all important to keep the sport going. Tribalism, whilst I’m guilty of it myself, is only harmful to angling. Without the evolution of modern carp angling, I think the sport would have died off almost completely. I don’t own a bivvy, rod-pod etc. But I can see the attraction for some. Camping outside, fairly stress free, have a drink and relax completely once your rods are out etc. Although one thing I don’t get about carp anglers in Lancashire (where I live) is, well, why bother carp fishing in Lancashire? The vast majority of waters are dominated by double figure fish, a 20lb fish is quite rare with 30s being almost unheard of apart from a handful of super well known fish in super well known waters. Lancashire is virtually empty of specimen carp (i.e. over 40lb). But it’s full of specimen perch, roach, pike, crucians, rudd etc. Why sit behind three Diawa Tournament big pit reels, loaded with 50lb braid on 3.5lb tc rods if the biggest fish in the, usually small, lake is 21lb and the average is 12lb? Why not just spend a fraction of what you spent on one reel on fuel and syndicate/club membership and drive south where you’ve a chance of catching a specimen carp? I love catching 10lb carp on floating baits, but such fish don’t need a 3lb tc rod, but if that’s what you enjoy it’s harmless.

Personally, the one aspect of the sport I don’t get and which is still inexplicably popular in Lancashire, is pole fishing. On most of the stillwaters that I fish it’s either triple rod carp fishing or pole fishing with no one but me in between. I’m weird because I fish a float rod or single feeder. I just don’t get the attraction of hooking a tiny skimmer bream on elastic, sliding that enormously heavy pole (yes, even the most expensive space age poles are enormously heavy rigid sticks compared to the tiny fish they hook), faffing around dismantling the sections, unhooking a skimmer so light relative to the pole it’s impossible to know it’s there and then repeating the faff in reverse. I suppose this is because I’m not competitive and don’t understand match fishing. At least, unlike Lancashire carp fishing, Lancashire match fishing makes biological sense as most of our cold, acidic waters are stuffed full of small silverfish but too cold and acidic to produce record breakers of most species.

But saying all the above we have to appreciate it’s each to their own and tribalism harms the sport of angling. Whether we enjoy endless faffing around with massive poles, stalking fish or catching 15lb carp on gear designed to catch 60lbers, we are all anglers and vital to the continuity of the sport.

I think its sometimes easy to look at fishing elsewhere and wish you had it like that where you are but you can bet your bottom doller someone else wishes they had your fishing on their doorstep too.

I also think the type of venues people wish for are sometimes closer than they think but they need finding and perhaps goals changed a little. Take the example of the dream Avon scenario…clear water, gravel, streamer and so on…its likely people do have streams within reasonable distance of them that have all these features in places but perhaps not large fish in them. I am always interested in the tributaries of the main rivers and even the tributaries of the tributaries. When I am checking out a new river I always make sure I put some time aside to look at these connecting streams. Even in the most built up bits of Greater London there were some amazing little waters. If you took a photo of the water you would never guess where it was. As a kid I used to catch wild Brown trout from little chalk streams inside the M25 & given a bit of time I am confident I could probably still do that today.

Its worth taking a walk off the beaten track from time to time as you might find a little bit of magic closer than you think & above all else if you do, don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I know the grass is greener, and so on, but I sometimes wish my fishing sessions started with "I'd been watching a group of barbel silhouetted against the clean gravel between the lush weedbeds". Instead of "I stared out across the 80 metres of tea-coloured 10 'deep water and wondered if there were any fish in front of me". It would also be nice, I imagine, to stand next to the water on a flat grassy bank instead of climbing and sliding down a 30' embankment and wondering, if I haven't fallen in off the ledge I'm perched on, how I'm going to get back up. The traffic may be worse (although Nottingham traffic is a match for any) but those Avon and Stour scenes do make me wish sometimes.....
    I am not in the first flush of youth but I make the effort to get away each year to somewhere like that or somewhere equally iconic with a tent...Its cheaper than a hotel and I can stay for a week or so if I fancy. I had better not ramble on anymore or PC will demand "stick to thread"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast