Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  92
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

Are people becoming blind to other methods apart from matching rods, reels bite alarms and bolt rigging ?.

This seems to be the 'go to' method for not only Carp but also Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd and now Crucians. Is it the law now that you cant fish any other way but to put some 'camo' on, sit back on your £200 bed chair and start pissing about with your alarms while you wait for the next unfortunate 4lb Tench or 1.5lb Crucian to hook itself then you crank it in on gear that could halt a charging Rhino?. Oh and said gear is transported to the waterside on a trolley that could deliver luggage to an aircraft.

Where did float fishing the margin go?, feelining?, touch legering and quivertipping with one rod?. Such rigging up converts every bite to a fish, is missing a bite now frowned on?.

Don't get me started on feeding a swim either or sitting quietly without shouting across the lake.

Or maybe I'm now just grumpy having reached 52 and still loving the one rod float or tip approach

Default Re: Modern fishing, a joyless experience?

You’re not alone, just read my posts in HDYGO along with many others and you’ll struggle to find bivvies and camo.

Blog Entries

You are definitely not alone,I rarely even have a second rod made up,I want to see my float go under,I want to overcome conditions,sort out feeding,shotting problems,that's my enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    You’re not alone, just read my posts in HDYGO along with many others and you’ll struggle to find bivvies and camo.
    Speak for yourself I use bivvies and camo and when the swinging party ends I may go fishing instead

I love touch ledgering!! Me and the other half freeline everytime we go to a new venue because we can hit bottom perfectly without the resistance of lead that most carp have already experienced. Using knots where I used to rely on swivels and using spade end hooks has really upped my catch rate the last two seasons. Variety....the spice of life....just stay off that spice.
    I got into float fishing two years ago using a centrepin and a longer midrange carbon rod and it really opened up so many possibilities. I do own 3 bivvies and 4 bite alarms but they are reserved for specific holidays and seasonal weather preferences where a simple chair on longer durations becomes unrealistic
    Last edited by Weirdoh; 25-05-2019 at 20:29.

I spent too many years (38 years) bivvied up behind bite alarms. It is a joy now to watch a float or swingtip or quivertip for roach.

Blog Entries

Simon, is it the venues you're using, ones where the fishstock are big and guys using them consider long sessions are the way to go.
    Many places I use from time to time can be fished with most all ways, tip, float, feeder, single or double rods with audible alarms and vizual indicators on account of the fish populations being varied in specie and size.
    Most times out Guys can be seen using the variety mentioned , admittedly not in equel measure but that's mainly dependent on the water, canals for example will see an equal use of float, quivertip and (time of year depending) lures.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Vicos View Post
    Or maybe I'm now just grumpy having reached 52 and still loving the one rod float or tip approach
    Yes you are old & grumpy, just like me - one rod short session fishing is the best

Me too 59 now and getting grumpier!
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Blog Entries

Wait on a bit I'm nearly 65 and I'm very grumpy...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast