Fishing out of season

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Much as I detest and have objected so much to the close season on rivers, a law that is Victorian and well out of date, it is still a law and one that MUST be upheld.

Had a phone call this morning from a concerned member of the public, three men, European type, were fishing the river from Iffley Meadows, part of our stretch at Oxford. He did advise them that there was a close season, but received the usual abuse.

Being the close season I asked him to contact the EA on the 0800 807060 number, but in the meantime I phoned the local Enforcement Officer up, I have all their numbers now just in case, and he nipped around there pretty quickly.

Three anglers now charged with coarse fishing out of season.
RESULT! ??????

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the strongest arguments to abolish the close season. With legitimate anglers on the bank the risk of poaching must surely reduce,

The bad one

Reaction score
Idiots, Iffley Meadow length is like the friggin M1 with people, walking, running, cycling all day every day. They deserve being nicked for their cheek.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Iffley Meadow length is like the friggin M1
I believe they were on our backwater there, on the opposite side to the main river, Phil. It's quieter, but the chap that reported it runs a camping and caravan site just across the road behind Go Outdoors and walks his dog along it. So thumbs up to him.

And chaps, I did nothing other than make a phone call to our Enforcement Officer, Lee. He did it and thumbs up to him as well. I'm glad it paid off for him this time too because a couple of weeks ago we had a report of what looked like set lines or traps set at Eton. Lee attended then and spent some hours looking into it. Eventually they got an EA Waterways boat to help out and they were lines tied to an underwater mooring chain which we had no idea about. False alarm, but it had to be investigated.

This time - RESULT! Yehhhhhhh! :w

Reaction score
At the risk of being called a racist I would like to say it's about time EE's who set long lines,gill nets,take fish away which are caught on rod and line,also those who actually turn up mob handed and haul nets through waters should be locked up,then sent home and if our laws don't allow for that,then they need amending...

theartist

Reaction score
One of the strongest arguments to abolish the close season. With legitimate anglers on the bank the risk of poaching must surely reduce,

Not sure why the anglers on the bank is going to deter poaching when they do it from June16th onwards without too much hassle, in this case the member of the public knew no one should be fishing there at all as the banks have been empty. That member of the public would have just walked past them as they would have been fishing legally. If anything this example could be touted as an argument for the close season remaining

We forget the public aren't all stupid and a lot of them know about the close season, this includes dog walkers and canoeists who report this sort of thing, many of which are also anglers as well.

Reaction score
True Rob,but I remember calling on two separate occasions a couple of years ago reporting similar and nobody came,that is why 'weird' people don't buy licences,because in the main they fish with impunity.

theartist

Reaction score
True Rob,but I remember calling on two separate occasions a couple of years ago reporting similar and nobody came,that is why 'weird' people don't buy licences,because in the main they fish with impunity.

Yep I tried once too, same result, weirdeh?

GT56

Reaction score
A big well done to all concerned and very interested to know how it ends.

Reaction score
They will probably either disappear so as not to appear in court,or be fined thrupence and asked to be good fellas...

terry m

Reaction score
Nice job Jeff W.

Personally I am a fan of the old closed season across ALL waters, but I realise that I am in a very small minority.

Not been out since mid March and starting to get the urge!,

The bad one

Reaction score
I believe they were on our backwater there, on the opposite side to the main river, Phil. It's quieter, but the chap that reported it runs a camping and caravan site just across the road behind Go Outdoors and walks his dog along it. So thumbs up to him.

This time - RESULT! Yehhhhhhh! :w
Ah I see! It is a bit quieter that side of the main river Jeff. No doubt they got their gear from Go Outdoors as well. :D Strange shop that one, not like the Go Outdoors around Manchester.