Floats for shy biting fish.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am not sure whether this is more sensitive, one draw-back is little lift bite indication although there often is a trembling, nothing quite like a bit of trembling..
The paternoster style, all the weight at the end of the line that cocks the float and a loop and hook length attached about half or 2 thirds the way down from the float. Good for weedy bottoms, the fish has no weight to feel when it mouths the bait and depending on the length can be well away from all the main line. Handy for snagging, a lighter hook line can be used and the shot can just pull off if snagged.
I tried this a lot a couple of years ago and liked it and asked if it was more sensitive than traditional style. IE. does the fish feel less or more resistance when it pulls the float down. No one was sure.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for there comments and just because I haven't clicked likes doesn't mean I haven't taken interest and enjoyed the concepts mentioned,over the years I've done a fair bit of crucian fishing and have experience of quite a few of the points mentioned,but I still can't really comprehend how it's only the Drennan glow tip antennae that's the sort of thing I talk of in the original post,floats that are loaded are not right imo,so that rules out a few,like insert wagglers for stillwater fishing,imo inserts need to be longish,especially in depths over 5ft,by longish I mean at least 3-4ins long,so as to take the thicker diameter of the float away from the surface ripple/draw,if you don't believe it,or hadn't thought of it,just try one,either by making one,or if your lucky enough to be able to see one in a shop,buy one,I'd be interested if you do....

wetthrough

Reaction score
Why do you think loaded floats aren't right? Just my opinion but putting the loading in the float reduces the drag from the shot around the float to some extent, in theory.

Reaction score
It's my opinion,based on a lot of years fishing,but here goes,loaded floats are,again imo for casting purposes,shy biting species like crucian carp 'feel' shot/loading,you can still catch a crucian on any float,but for me the float has to be as light as possible shot loading wise and as sensitive as is viable,therefore if you can reach your spot with a 2no4 float,that's the boy for me,a loaded float penetrates the water too deeply,if you have to cast and the only way to stop that is to stop the float dead with your finger on the spool,so it lands flat on the surface,then what happens,a big splash,nah,not for me I'm afraid.I

Also,back at ya:),why would you use a loaded float fishing a rod length out,you have to strike through the loading,as I say,I believe they feel the loading/shot on the line/float,that is why Rob's(artist) post about using a light pole float with just the bait to cock the float works so well,crucian carp are little bu99ers and it's not that they are clever,it's their normal way of feeding.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
It's my opinion,based on a lot of years fishing,but here goes,loaded floats are,again imo for casting purposes,shy biting species like crucian carp 'feel' shot/loading,you can still catch a crucian on any float,but for me the float has to be as light as possible shot loading wise and as sensitive as is viable,therefore if you can reach your spot with a 2no4 float,that's the boy for me,a loaded float penetrates the water too deeply,if you have to cast and the only way to stop that is to stop the float dead with your finger on the spool,so it lands flat on the surface,then what happens,a big splash,nah,not for me I'm afraid.

But an unloaded 2 x No 4 float will be the same as a loaded 2 x No 4 float (assuming they are shotted the same and some of the 2 x No 4 is built into the float and there is extra capacity for droppers). I doubt you would get such light loaded floats anyway though

Reaction score
No,I doubt you would either,in fact you would be unlikely to be able to buy a float with a 2no4 capacity,with any amount of loading,please try to envisage that I'm fishing a water with a maximum depth of three feet,probably two,so the float really doesn't need to be any longer than four inches.

rich66

Reaction score
I agree, I’ve always shied away from making big splash on a cast as I feel I’ve not cast right when I do. I rarely use a loaded float & try to use the lightest shotting float possible. The Drennans go quite light and I’ve made a reversed crow feather with an elder body, which is about 2BB+ and that lands very lightly. Caught plenty of fish with it too.

Reaction score
Wasn't having a go Alan, just interested in your reasons.

No mate,I didn't think you were,it is quite difficult to put into words what's been learnt,far easier to sit next to someone,whip their @rse,then people start asking pertinent questions,I have the same with slider fishing,people question what I advise,then when they have the normal nightmare day,they spend an hour or too watching my every move,I don't mind,but float fishing isn't as easy as just putting a float on the line,that's why I've spent so long doing it.;);)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Alan, have you seen premier floats Stillwater antenna? That's available in a 3bb model, it's 150mm, long though so probably nearer 5inches than 4. Its what I would class as a canal float in my book!

I'm also a fan of the glo tip antennas from Drennan EXCEPT for the fact that the tip seems to bust off them way too easily.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's not just small floats that have become scarce in tackle shops - most offer a wider range of pole floats and a few generic running line floats.

I'm another who likes to fish close in with rod and line - even though I was a bit of an early-adopter of pole stuff, starting with a Garbolino SLV in 1978. These days fishing "off your rod end" has got a bit further away, thanks to longer rods, and I carry a bunch of little floats, many home made, for fishing long rod and pin. As to the best shape, length etc, I think it all depends...... dead depth, on the drop, shallow, well over-depth with backshots and shot on the bottom, deep swims, shallow ones, calm days, choppy water...different designs all have their uses.

you can find some nice little floats if you search "whip wagglers" on ebay.

The glow-tip type ones do look cute. But some of the peacock floats in the pic have been in use since 1980's; I don't own any old glow-tips! The tips, if I dare mention the subject, seem to be as fragile as some delicate rod tips.

Richox12

Reaction score
What about................Combo Tips ? The long thin ones must be about 3". Fit them straight into a silicone adaptor and simply use as a straight (but very thin and light) waggler.

Reaction score
What about................Combo Tips ? The long thin ones must be about 3". Fit them straight into a silicone adaptor and simply use as a straight (but very thin and light) waggler.

I've got some mate,sitting here in front of me:),I've been to a tackle shop this morning and picked up some glow antennaes,smaller than Drennans website said they made,2no1.

Simon I have thought about that style of float,but I'd rather fish bottom end only and as I say on the rod and line.

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Alan,

haven't you got any of Birdy's balsa wagglers left? I've still got a draw full of seconds from the factory (not as good as his handmades but still pretty good).
They may be nearly 30 years old - but still work perfectly.

Reaction score
I have indeed and was just looking at them ten minutes ago,you lot on here must be phsychic...lol.

Reaction score
I've just alaldited the float I mentioned I was going to make up,I will be well armed for my first trip to my new waters.:)