Cost of changing rod handles

Stalker

Reaction score
I have a few rods which are all duplon, part duplon and with sliding reel fittings. I'd like to get them all changed to full cork and screw seat fittings.

What's the average cost of getting it done, per rod?

Not after anything fancy and, as far as I know, there's nothing unusual about any of the butts.

I know one of my local tackle shops will do them, but they won't give me even a guide price without seeing the rods...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I know one of my local tackle shops will do them, but they won't give me even a guide price without seeing the rods...

Having run a repair service myself ( not rods ) I can understand their stance. One cannot give an estimate without seeing the article as they are all different.
Once you open your mouth with a price, job unseen, it's very difficult to inform the customer that it will be more.

Molehill

Reaction score
A difficult one without seeing the rods! Many variables.

But section will need stripping down of rings (how many to strip off and rewhip), length of handle and cork quality to price, these shives or pre formed handle will be slid down from top of section for a good fit (hence ring removal). Reel seat to be costed, presume standard cheap plastic Fuji seat? Then replace rings, epoxy and dry. Labour to total up.
Sorry I can't be much more help, but not a cheap job as there is a lot involved, not particularly difficult but something as simple as stripping the rod down all adds to the time and cost.
Otherwise, not that difficult a job to do yourself, or at least most of it.

john step

Reaction score
I would pick the rod you could most afford to muck up with a DIY job and have a bash. I think you could make a good job yourself. After all its labour that costs a lot.

There are some good rods about nowadays. In the end that may be the best option.

Stalker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

And there was me thinking it was just a "simple" matter of stripping off the old material, smoothing off the exposed butt and then gluing on the new cork and reel seat...

I do have a very old and very cheap (it was cheap when I bought it in the early 90s) float rod which I don't use, that has a full duplon handle. So I could use that as a try-out.

But, with the process you've all mentioned and the vid above, I don't think I can actually be arsed to do it.

So probs best to leave as is and make do, otherwise I risk at worst ruining the rods, at best forking out a small fortune for a pro job.

Reaction score
I've had two new handles put on rods,both because they had sliding reel fittings which I hate with a vengeance,so putting Fuji screw fittings they have brought back good rods that although old are still great to use,I wish I'd had the same thing done with my original Drennan medium feeder,instead of selling it on....

Last edited:

Stalker

Reaction score
I've had two new handles put on rods,both because they had sliding reel fittings which I hate with a vengeance,so putting Fuji screw fittings they have brought back good rods that although old are still great to use,I wish I'd had the same thing done with my original Drennan medium feeder,instead of selling it on....

How much did they cost?

Don't worry, I'm not going to hold you to a quote - I'm just asking purely out of curiosity.

Reaction score
To be honest mate I can't remember,but I don't live that far from John Hutchison of Biggleswade,known him a few years,I think he did them for 20 quid each,but I don't think he does a lot these days,after a heart scare and getting a little too far up the ladder I don't blame him,I used to moan at him for being so cheap,I think he re-rung a rod with fujis for £25,this was about three years ago,wouldn't take any more,even though I offered to take him for a few beers,he wouldn't have it,bought drink for drink,just a genuine good bloke...

flightliner

Reaction score
I had two quivertip rods (brand new) rebutted by a friend.
Full cork handles with Fuji screw down reel fittings.
He did a superb job , even scraped off a charcoal grey paint job back to carbon .
They look like custom made jobs now and fit the bill admirably.
The full cork ready made handles are £16 each in my local dealer but my friend did it by fitting individual cork rings that he spun to my diameter requirements on his lath.
I didn't mind paying for the conversions as the rods were on a tremendous knock down price of £25 each front around £60 at Chapmans of Scunthorpe.
Well worth the exercise for me.
Hope it works out at your end!

mikench

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video and maybe just maybe I might be able to do that. However the chances of me making a cockup would be significant. I would experiment on a worthless or broken rod first as most things are easier second time around.

I have 2 Diawa Amorphous Whisker rods with sliding réel seats which I am quite happy with once I have ensured a good fit. I like these rods and shall keep them authentic. I accept fully my considerable limitations in matters diy.

bracket

Reaction score
Mike. I have lost count of the number of rod handles I have converted over the years. Suffice to say it is very straight forward, a piece of p#ss in fact. The video explains it all and there is nothing you can get wrong really. Grasp the nettle and do it. Pete