Cooking Hemp.... Infuriating!

Lark

Reaction score
Why is hemp so inconsistent?
For the last 40 years+ I've been preparing my own hemp and I never cease to be amazed at how inconsistent the cooking process can be.

I've got a batch cooking, about 2 to three pints.
Soaked overnight (at least 26 hours), rolling simmer for just about one and half hours now....
Barely a kernel in sight and the shells are still pretty hard. Bloody infuriating!!

If there is someone out there with a botanical bent (ooh, er, missus!), that may have an explanation for this,
I'm sure there will be others like myself would like to know what's occurring..... Please don't tell me it's just me.

I've been told that some hemp variants, particularly from south-east Asia, can be particularly difficult.
(I was under the impression that just about all of it came from south-east Asia).
Also, that the process of removing the hemp's fertility can also be quite inconsistent and have varying effects on the cooking process.
Any thoughts?...

Molehill

Reaction score
I am no expert on it and haven't used it long, but your problem is exactly what made me start a thread on here about "can anyone recommend where to buy hemp"? I have had so many variables, some I had last year was lovely large seeds - but rubbish - soak it, cook it, didn't matter how long the results were very poor. And the same for other small batches over the years.

So no I can't help as to why, but there is certainly a lot of c*** about mixed in with some better stuff. I guess the answer is to just pay up and buy a bulk sack from one of the big suppliers (I had Hinders in the end) and presume it is of quality and been tested before being sold.

Lark

Reaction score
but there is certainly a lot of c*** about mixed in with some better stuff.

I think it really could come down to quality. This batch was from Blake's, which normally has been really good in the past, but this batch is really poor, possibly the worst I've ever had.

Reaction score
Age is a major issue apparently,I know mine is...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as reailers are concered Hemp has an indetermiate shelf life and can sit in their stock rooms for eons . . . .

These days I don't bother coking it myself and buy it from my tackle shop, but, when I dd go to the trouble of preparing and cooking it then I'd get mine from somewhere like Haiths, who sell a heck of a lot so it is never all that old

Lark

Reaction score
Age is a major issue apparently,I know mine is...
Mine too!

I agree, age must play a huge part in the quality.
Like you Peter, I normally buy the tinned hemp but I decided to get dried this time as I wanted to make up a fair amount to hit the Thames and Kennet over the coming few weeks. It's all in the bin now as it was such poor quality.
I shall investigate Haith's... They must be one of the few suppliers I've never bought from!
Did manage to make up 4 pints of lovely tares though!.... Every cloud...

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've had bad and good from Haith's, both large and small hemp. Last lot was from Hinders which was good. Being a bait shop rather than a pet food supplier that sells bait I'd hope they're more aware of the need for hemp to split and make sure it does before they sell it.

Lark

Reaction score
My mate used to buy hemp in bulk from Hinders and then let me buy smaller quantities from him.
It always seemed very consistent and did what it was supposed to do.
He doesn't do the amount of spodding that he used to.... Like me, he can't be arsed at our age!
I must say though, I've had some excellent quality hemp from local pet shops in the past but they seem to be going the same way as tackle shops, unfortunately.

Lark

Reaction score
Just checked out Haith's website for their hemp.
Terrific website, marvellous range of stuff...
But blimey Peter... When did standard size hemp start being traded on the FTSE 100?.... ;)
£10.40 + p&p for 2 kilos. I was moaning about paying £3.00 a kilo!
Very interesting site though.

peterjg

Reaction score
Mine too!

I agree, age must play a huge part in the quality.
Like you Peter, I normally buy the tinned hemp but I decided to get dried this time as I wanted to make up a fair amount to hit the Thames and Kennet over the coming few weeks. It's all in the bin now as it was such poor quality.
I shall investigate Haith's... They must be one of the few suppliers I've never bought from!
Did manage to make up 4 pints of lovely tares though!.... Every cloud...

Lark, I also fish the Thames and Kennet - good luck and tight lines.

ian g

Reaction score
I've cooked hemp from a local animal feed supplier on and off for years . Bought some from Monster Particles , prepared cost me a quid a kilo , looks good . Got 10 kilos for £16 delivered .

GT56

Reaction score
I stopped cooking hemp some years back due to a few issues/complaints and now prefer to put up to a pint in a flask over night and sometimes adding a spoon of black treacle. All very quick and easy and it defiantly splits with more than enough for my day's fishing but I've never actually used it for hook bait, when I guess the finished seed might be more critical.
I purchased in bulk (15kg) from a farm shop that sells bird/pet food along with more Carp type fishing bait.

barbelboi

Reaction score
$od all that faffing about - these days it's a large jar of frenzied hemp which keeps well even off the fridge so long as it's in an airtight bag......................

shane99

Reaction score
Dont even attempt hemp these days & tried & failed at Tares. I have you right GT56 with the Flask aproach

The local Carp gatecrashed my Roaching back in the day when using Tares by the way, Carp boys take note :)

Reaction score
Tares are a piece of p1ss to prepare,apart from keeping a close eye on them so they don't over cook,I prefer firm tares that can just be squeezed between the fingers,not soft mushy things that have to be repaired after every missed bite.