4" hooklength ( hooks to nylon)

mikench

Reaction score
I always use Guru QM1 hooks to nylon for my method, pellet and hybrid feeders. I just use the Guru variety now as they are interchangeable in seconds being attached by a loop.

Anyway my question and one I have been meaning to ask for ages. The hooklength is attached to the feeder by threading the loop end through the metal ring on the feeder and then the hook and hair are threaded through the loop and pulled taut. The loop has a small tag end which can prevent the loop from pulling tight but can be left slightly open. Does this make any difference to the strength of the connection? Generally I use a baiting needle to ensure the loop goes over the tag end but need I bother?

Last edited:

Reaction score
I take it your using ready made hooklengths Mike,I always tie my own,so tie direct to the metal ring when I fish this way,if using a loop I'd always ensure the tag end goes through to leave a neat connection.

mikench

Reaction score
That is what I do Alan so will continue to do so. My hook tyer remains redundant!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Lol,you don't need a book tyer for qm1's Mike,I'm far more trusting of my own tying and if you tied them at home it would be easy,I reckon your a clone of Binka,sausage fingers,surely you can tie spades by now....;)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I can after a fashion but I cannot see me sitting at home making hooklengths. I don't knit either.:rolleyes:

rich66

Reaction score
I like to make sure it’s a close fit, if it stops at the tag end I’ll pull it tight or as you say ease it over with a needle. I just think it might cause a little slack/bump effect if I don’t if I get a bite.

mikench

Reaction score
That was my thinking too and I need all the help I can get. It can be annoying though when it takes a bit of fiddling.

Reaction score
I can after a fashion but I cannot see me sitting at home making hooklengths. I don't knit either.:rolleyes:

I don't believe that,can't knit,don't be daft,tying spade end hooks is an absolute must and I would love to be able to help you out,maybe I will get the missus to film me on my tablet in easy stages,no way I could get it on FM,it's a definite job for swmbo....

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Pete but whilst I might manage that at home I haven’t a prayer of doing so on the bank. It’s shop bought for me I’m afraid!

rayner

Reaction score
Mike, I used to tie hooks direct to my reel line when I was fit using my fingers.
I bought an hook tyer to enable me to tie hooks with one hand (at home) to use it I had to make a jig.
Just a piece of skirting board with a 15mm pipe bracket and a cup hook. I've used it for every spade end I use.
It's the easiest method of tying hooks for me, I suspect with everyone else also. Tension is correct and never gets any sort of pig tailing.

Reaction score
I actually think you can buy some sort of book thing contraption which includes a book tyer,you certainly used to anyway...

John Keane

Reaction score
I don’t like attaching the hooklength to a ring by looping it so I use this method, which I thought up myself but it probably isn’t original. It’s worked for me for the past 3 or more years. Just thread the hooklength loop on, keyring style.

John Keane

Reaction score
What size are the swivels John?

They are size 11 and either the Guru or the Drennan ones are okay. They are a bit of a snug fit so you can make it a sly bolt rig on fisheries where free-running rules apply. :wh

Guru are a bit annoying as they say that their own size 11 swivels are ideal for their inline feeder stems but they WON’T fit inside. Anyway I’ve gone over to Preston and the swivels fit neatly inside the stem.

When buying swivels I’d take your feeder to the tackle shop and check them for fit.