Should I fish after a match?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
30 blokes come down from up north somewhere and fish a competition on the river. They all use poles and fish the middle of the river which is about 30ft wide.. They come down once a year but I was surprised to see them yesterday, normally they come later in the summer. They have probably chucked loads of groundbait in, the stretch is very little fished in fact apart from them not one angler on it. They dont usually catch much missing the tench and big fish 6ft out just over the weed edge, small roach mainly but I didnt see if they caught yesterday as spotted from the bus. The stretch is bit of a walk for me but would do it if it's worth it and depending if I can go today, not sure yet, today and tomorrow maybe options depending.
Should I go and fish that stretch today or avoid it?

Last edited:

Reaction score
If they are not bagging your target fish,or even fishing the areas in question without a doubt,I would imagine some bait would have been thrown into the margins to act as a pre-bait for you in some swims,good luck.

mikench

Reaction score
As it's a river and in the light of the background,you have little to lose so go for it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

theartist

Reaction score
Its a catch 22 Mark because if you hadn't seen them there you would be fishing it none the wiser to them being there the day before. But they will always be in the back of your mind especially if you struggle. I'd rule out any thoughts of them emptying the venue of most of the fish, but they could have put a bit of bait down which may help or may be counterproductive. I would avoid the place for a few days, 30 blokes match fishing on the 16th is the equivalent of a brass band going up and down announcing the start of the fishing season, if that's a natural water and I'm a fish I would be on edge today, but you'll still catch more there than we will at home indoors ;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sorry chaps, just couldn't make it to where these blokes were fishing yesterday, wanted to but just did not have the energy, about a quarter of a mile and wasn't up to it so its all academic now but interesting nevertheless and replies have been noted for future reference.
I thought it would be a toss-up, would all that bait have attracted a lot of fish into the area or would they have fed up and not fed the next day, plus all the activity as Art said have put them off for a few days.

Last edited: