Pond weed.

Ashbrough

Reaction score
20190619_090821.jpg

Afternoon!

As you can see from the picture (hopefully) I'm having trouble with pond weed at a small local pond. It has currently been like this for a few years and nobody has fished it for a while.

The pond has carp tench roach Rudd and perch in. But with the pond being rammed with weed are the fish going to survive? Just want to know so before i attempt to clear a swim?

I would be grateful for any type of reply
Cheers ash

rich66

Reaction score
Don’t think it’ll bother the fish too much. As long as there’s enough oxygen and food they are probably getting by. Any signs of life ?
You could either toss a few bits of bread on the surface and see if anything comes for a look. Or rake a swim out and give it a go. As long as you’ve got permission to fish I’d be tempted

theartist

Reaction score
Rake it Ash you'll probably be doing the fish a favour long term, Tench will love the weed but overall the pond should benefit from a swim or two being raked. Now is also a good time with it being damp as any insect life will have a good chance of getting back into the pond

Ashbrough

Reaction score
Yeah a few years it was brilliant fishing there big carp and big tench in there but like I said I havent fished it for a few years.

I'm going to give it a go then and try to rake the front of the pond. How big does the swim need to be?
The pond I's about 6ft deep near the edges then deeper in the middle. Hopefully I will be able to post another picture of my progress in a few days if the weathers ok.

Thanks lads

john step

Reaction score
Go for it. I reckon you could possibly be in for some great almost private fishing if you don't spread the word and let others benefit from your efforts.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Looks very much like broad leaved pond weed (Potamogeton natans - had to look it up, can never remember it's Latin name). It can be a nightmare on a popular fishing pond, but since there's only you (with permission, of course) then as stated above, clear an area, but you might try with a weed cutter and nipping it off at the base. It will float to the surface and maybe you can use a net to drag it in.

Ashbrough

Reaction score
Yeah it is horrendous weed, we did try n rake it a few years ago me and a mate but it just seemed to grow back pretty much straight away.

I'm.going to buy a decent rake off Ebay and give it a good go. Hopefully be fishing in there again in a few weeks.

The bad one

Reaction score
Weed Razor would be the best to get, not cheap though but do a great job. If you know a tame engineer who can make things at work get him to make one for you. Easy peasy!
A mate of mine who has his own engineering shop made one for another mate who was fishing a large weedy water.

I can send you a drawing I drew for my mate to make. Let me know an e-mail address via PM and it's yours.