method feeders

john step

Reaction score
Despite fishing for a year or two it is only recently I have been using a method feeder. I have caught on it and it seems to be the way to go on some occasions.

However the set I bought to try it was one of those cheap sets. It may well be the way and consistency I mix the groundbait but I find the way the ball of feed leaves the mould to be very inconsistent. Some times OK sometimes sticking and falling apart.
The mould seems quite stiff.
My question is this. Would a better quality of mould/set make any difference?
Are some makes better than others.

Cheers all.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Rawl plug nylon self drill plasterboard fixings and half a kinder surprise egg or the bigger two half egg type things you find in those machines in some pubs.

Works a treat

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Try a drier groundbait mix before spending money on a new mould, groundbait that's too damp will stick like glue to anything.

peterjg

Reaction score
Put a zip bag into the mould then the groundbait, then the feeder, gently remove loaded feeder, then unpeel the zip bag from the loaded feeder.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Peter, that sounds a good idea. I will try it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Ah! I wondered what this bloke was doing with his plastic bag. All went over my head. 31.40, the bag's on show, if you don't want to wade through it all. Although it does make interesting viewing.

YouTube

BTW I've got one of those orange Guru moulds. Works great with pellets or groundbait. You feel like a kid making sandcastles; very satisfying.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have most makes of feeder and mould as you can probably imagine. I now stick to the Guru mould and hybrid feeder which work. GB needs to be the right consistency and is trickier than micros. Too wet and it sticks and too dry it falls apart. The Guru feeder is better than others with wet GB in my experience. If you were closer Pete I would happily give you a few to try. If you are using the free ones from the mags then they are best put in the bin.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I use micro pellets - 2mm or 3 mm - before setting the rod up soak in water for 10 seconds , drain the water and leave - should be right when you start to fish

use water in a ionizer spray bottle to keep the pellets at the right level of mositness

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I use micro pellets - 2mm or 3 mm - before setting the rod up soak in water for 10 seconds , drain the water and leave - should be right when you start to fish

use water in a ionizer spray bottle to keep the pellets at the right level of mositness
I couldn't agree more! Spot on M'lud.

I used to use Marukyu, sticky pellets (still have some left in stock), but they have now pulled out of the UK market, great pity because I thought they were the best. Ringers Stiki pellets are good second best for the method feeder, but as M'Lud says, not to get them too wet, soak and drain and leave them. I don't think it matters what mould and feeder make you use, the consistency come from mixing the groundbait or pellets right and a little more to the dry side that wet through. I use both the Drennan and MAP moulds, the MAP has a soft bottom so you push it up to get the feeder out, the Drennan you have to pull the sides apart.

My mate who's always cracking on that he know everything about fishing, filled his mould the other week, stuck his feeder on to. pressed it down and was about to cast the entire lot, mould and all, when someone told him. Shame, we'd have had yet another great laugh.

Edit: sorry forgot the video, just like I use...

YouTube

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I gave up on the mould a long time ago, I just use my hands to apply the bait to the feeder.

John Keane

Reaction score
The Guru mould is good and to stop groundbait sticking either line it with cling film or, less fiddly, just keep the mould in a bait box full of water and that prevents it sticking.

Having said that, I’ve converted to the Preston Imitations Dura ICS banjo feeders as you don’t have to have the pellets as spot-on in a hybrid/banjo feeder. The Prestons are a rip off of the MAP system but I think I’m going to like them better than Guru as you can change from Method, to Banjo, to Pellet Feeder, to Bomb without any breaking down or re-tying.

mikench

Reaction score
I only use the x safe systems and if they are banned on any waters ( none of mine are- over 250) I won't fish there.

John Keane

Reaction score
I only use the x safe systems and if they are banned on any waters ( none of mine are- over 250) I won't fish there.

Not so much a specific ban on those feeder stems more a fish welfare rule about all feeders being free running. That’s very common on day ticket waters (and my club lake)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I only use the x safe systems
If it's to use them as a shock absorber then I use these type of swivels with a woven and elasticated loop on. The hooklink attaches to the loop and the swivel goes below the feeder keeping the feeder free moving on the main line. And the elastics never break, the only way I go through them is when I actually lose them on a snag. Never lost a fish on them when it's been well hooked. The only problem is, you can't buy these swivels in this country any longer and I bought the remaining stock that a local dealer had. I love 'em.
shock swivel.jpg

John Keane

Reaction score
If it's to use them as a shock absorber then I use these type of swivels with a woven and elasticated loop on. The hooklink attaches to the loop and the swivel goes below the feeder keeping the feeder free moving on the main line. And the elastics never break, the only way I go through them is when I actually lose them on a snag. Never lost a fish on them when it's been well hooked. The only problem is, you can't buy these swivels in this country any longer and I bought the remaining stock that a local dealer had. I love 'em.
View attachment 6953

Looks better than the X-Safe system as a fish will be trailing around less junk in the event of a break.