Feeder rods

dalesman

Reaction score
Rarely ever fish a feeder, as I prefer to trot a float.

But for those dog days looking for a feeder rod for the river, but I want three piece rod for transport purposes. Are they made?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You don't say how wide your river is, but quite a few rods come in 3 pc versions, the trouble is many website descriptions don't make it clear.

I can recommend a Shimano Aernos 9-11ft, which definitely breaks down into 3 pieces, in fact I think the tips still come separate anyway meaning 3 or 4 pieces. Since it can be used at two lengths makes it very useful for many small to medium rivers. I have the Beast Master version of this particular style and it is very compact. I do have the 11ft straight version of the Aernos and it comes in three pieces and breaks down to just under 4ft.
aernos.jpg

John Keane

Reaction score
Three piece feeder rods are like rocking horse sh!t. Rovex do a multi piece John Wilson Avon Quiver (1.25lb) and a Barbel Quiver (1.75lb)

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are still plenty of normal match style quiver/feeder rods made (just look at the Drennan, Shimano or Daiwa catalogues). However, the trick is finding a shop that actually stocks such rods. They don't tend to shift that we'll compared to their two piece, 12' or under, brethren.

theartist

Reaction score
Rarely ever fish a feeder, as I prefer to trot a float.

But for those dog days looking for a feeder rod for the river, but I want three piece rod for transport purposes. Are they made?

I've got the Rovex Wilson which is five piece which is a plus as you can stow it away easy, I can't say what it's like as I'm not sure I've not fired out a feeder since BC, I've used it for heavy float work and it seems ok but it's quite short. I'd refrain from paying too much for a feeder rod as you may only use one fleetingly compared to your float rods

hague01

Reaction score
I had a hardy supero extreme 13' feeder which was 3 piece. Sold it and regretted it. Just bought a used supero 13' feeder and gobsmacked when it came as a 2 piece.! 2 lengths at circa 5'8" and the 25" tip! Alec. At my age I thought I was past surprises!

hague01

Reaction score
just remembered I have a browning cc silverlite 13' feeder which is a 3 piece. Its a great rod to use too. I also have the 11' version . equally good but a two.Alec

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know what type of river or species you prefer, but if you don't necessarily want a new rod, the Daiwa 11/13 series ran for a long time, contained some excellent rods, and they come up for sale regularly. Over the years I've accumulated 3 of these, and they've all proved to be of high quality. The Amorphous Whisker Heavy and the Spectron Heavy have caught barbel and chub from several rivers, with lines from 4lb to 10lb; the Connoisseur Stillwater has been ideal for river bream, with lines around 4lb to 6lb. The length option is useful. They do stand the test of time - the Amorphous was bought in 1993 and I'd cheerfully use it tomorrow. Quiver tips interchange for the whole series, and do not cost the kind of silly prices some current rods entail.

mikench

Reaction score
I alternate between a variety of rods as it's cruel to have a favourite to the exclusion of the others.:rolleyes:

For smaller waters I use a Marksman supero 10' bomb rod and dare I say it's bombproof and a delight to use. For slightly larger waters I use a Marksman supero 11'feeder or à Supero 11'6" Avon both of which are delightful. I also use an Amorphous Whisker 11' to 13' feeder which again is a lovely rod. I have yet to use it at 13'.

For iffy waters, inclement weather( read wet, muddy and b***** horrible) and overgrown rivers( one was so overgrown I couldn't find it) I use the DV .75 Avon which is a lovely rod and a snip at a little over £40.

I like to change them and they are all unique in their own way.

John Keane

Reaction score
I alternate between a variety of rods as it's cruel to have a favourite to the exclusion of the others.:rolleyes:

For smaller waters I use a Marksman supero 10' bomb rod and dare I say it's bombproof and a delight to use. For slightly larger waters I use a Marksman supero 11'feeder or à Supero 11'6" Avon both of which are delightful. I also use an Amorphous Whisker 11' to 13' feeder which again is a lovely rod. I have yet to use it at 13'.

For iffy waters, inclement weather( read wet, muddy and b***** horrible) and overgrown rivers( one was so overgrown I couldn't find it) I use the DV .75 Avon which is a lovely rod and a snip at a little over £40.

I like to change them and they are all unique in their own way.

Rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or saying “money, sense, than, more” :eek:mg: