Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  171
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Returned to fishing? What changes have you noticed?

I've still got a few of the reversed peacocks you mentioned. Looking at the way the tackle on display in shops has changed tells you something. The float trays/shelves/stands used to take pride of place. In the two shops nearest me, the displays of feeders and leads are far bigger than the the float range on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I miss the Drennan Canal Crystals but did stock up on a few so OK for a few years. I also liked the 5 no. 4 wire-stem Avons as well; now the smallest size is 3BB. When it comes to wagglers it's long been easiest to make far better ones than almost all commercially-made ones though I do like the original Dave Harrell insert wagglers for fishing up in the water. I'm currently trying to make some versions of these using 2mm and 3mm hollow pole float tips.
    Mark,

isn't 3BB = 6 no. 4 anyway? so only 1 no.4 different

Here’s one of my original reverse taper peacock wagglers .
    Thicker at the top for dragging a bait along the bottom on a deep river...I believe these were only made for a short period in 1993 then discontinued...

Blog Entries

The other way Simon,if you use a reverse crow quill it is thin end painted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Here’s one of my original reverse taper peacock wagglers .
    Thicker at the top for dragging a bait along the bottom on a deep river...I believe these were only made for a short period in 1993 then discontinued...

The usage is similar to Dave Harrell floats,can't think of the name,but I bought a couple...is it truncheon(probably not)

Ps it is called a truncheon,looked it up...
    Last edited by whitty; 15-07-2019 at 19:11.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    The other way Simon,if you use a reverse crow quill it is thin end painted.
    Drennan named it ‘reverse taper waggler’ not me..

Blog Entries

I'm not saying they didn't Simon,it's just different to what reversed quills have been since I started fishing.

This is my third year back after a 20+ year lay-off because life "got in the way".

I would say the biggest noticeable change to me is how much rods and tackle have been stepped up - 1lb+ rods and 4-5lb line for roach and rudd, 1.25+lb rods and 8lb+ line for chub, bream and tench, 1.75lb+ rods and 10-15lb line for barbel, and 3lb+ rods and 25lb+ line for carp and pike. All of that was unthinkable back in the 90s. Appreciate that rods and line are thinner and lighter now, but I still wonder if that overkill is really necessary in every situation. A 2lb+ test curve rod and 10-15lb line for barbel in mighty stony bottomed rivers like the Severn and Wye I can understand, but in little clay and gravel rivers like the Loddon, the Hampshire Avon, Stour, Kennett and my local Bristol Avon? I just don't get it.

Blog Entries

Stalker,the reason why barbel gear is heavier is mainly because the fish themselves are bigger,look up the record H.Avon barbel from last year and you will see the size is mahoosive,in the 90's the average size was 5-8lb,with a 13lber being big,along with weed,bigger fish equals heavier gear,unless you accept losses,roach fishing,float fishing in general is done by diameter,lines are thinner now,so you don't want too thin a line,similar for chub,bream and tench,always use what you think is required,be ready to change however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker View Post
    This is my third year back after a 20+ year lay-off because life "got in the way".

I would say the biggest noticeable change to me is how much rods and tackle have been stepped up - 1lb+ rods and 4-5lb line for roach and rudd, 1.25+lb rods and 8lb+ line for chub, bream and tench, 1.75lb+ rods and 10-15lb line for barbel, and 3lb+ rods and 25lb+ line for carp and pike. All of that was unthinkable back in the 90s. Appreciate that rods and line are thinner and lighter now, but I still wonder if that overkill is really necessary in every situation. A 2lb+ test curve rod and 10-15lb line for barbel in mighty stony bottomed rivers like the Severn and Wye I can understand, but in little clay and gravel rivers like the Loddon, the Hampshire Avon, Stour, Kennett and my local Bristol Avon? I just don't get it.
    You'll still find a lot of experienced Anglers using more sensible tackle.

It's usually the less experienced angler who insists on using cranes and rope, and not the thinking and more experienced angler.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 18-07-2019 at 14:34.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast