Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  131
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Returned to fishing? What changes have you noticed?

Keith,when I started barbel angling,on the H.Avon,I think it would be early 80's,maybe mid-70's it was common practice to use 5/6lbs line for barbel,straight through,fish were between 4-6 on average,a double was a to die for fish,8lbers were a specimen,last year I nearly caught as many doubles as singles,three of those were upper nines,I cant imagine fishing lines less than 8lb on the lead,usually more,unless i were fishing snag/weed free venues,I use a Harrison 1.75lb tc Torrix for really weedy awkward waters,a 1lb 6oz Harrison Avon special for more normal situations,but i use a strong mainline,most rivers i fish today I have to land fish from where I hook them,not being able to get downstream to extricate them from weed and with barbel numbers down I just cannot afford to lose any because of inadequate tackle...just don't get as many these days sadly,it is a lot easier to catch carp.
    Last edited by whitty; 19-07-2019 at 04:37.

Blog Entries

When I started fishing for Barbel on the river Kennet back in 1975 (when I caught my first Barbel) my line was 8lb, and 10lb when the river was in in flood conditions, my rod was either a 1.5lb Tc Avon type rod which I had made myself or an old MKIV Carp rod (which had a 1¼lb test curve).

The Barbel we caught back then were usually from around 5lb up to 9lb plus with 7lb and 8lb fish caught regularly with about 1 in 10 fish a 9lb-er and with a couple of doubles up to around 12 or 13lb most years.

The Kennet back then was full of streamer weed and was a very healthy river; not the silted up relatively weedless river it’s turning into now in places.

Now I fish the smaller rivers in Herts and Beds which have even more Barbel in them (of a similar size) and I still usually use the same strength tackle (1.5lb & 1.7lb TC rods with 8lb line) and I’ve only been broken once in the last few years (when a Barbel ran around a tight bend in the river and the line parted on some tree roots).

Yes we do catch a few more double figure Barbel now but the average size of our Barbel is still around the same.

If I were fishing a much bigger and more powerful river with sharp rocks on the bottom then yes I would definately step up my tackle, but not on a small to mid sized gravel bottomed lowland river.

But I often still see people Carpbelling with Carp rigs and over strong lines and rods with very little give in them on the small to medium sized rivers, because they don’t really know any different.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 19-07-2019 at 13:23.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

I agree,both the rods I mentioned are all through rods,but the 1.75lb Torrix has enough grunt to stop BIG fish fairly quickly,I go to the D.Stour in a couple of weeks,ive been in contact with mates and the weed is mega,last year every second or third fish was a 12lber,they give awful problems if they get too deep in the ribbon weed present.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456