Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  171
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Returned to fishing? What changes have you noticed?

Keith,when I started barbel angling,on the H.Avon,I think it would be early 80's,maybe mid-70's it was common practice to use 5/6lbs line for barbel,straight through,fish were between 4-6 on average,a double was a to die for fish,8lbers were a specimen,last year I nearly caught as many doubles as singles,three of those were upper nines,I cant imagine fishing lines less than 8lb on the lead,usually more,unless i were fishing snag/weed free venues,I use a Harrison 1.75lb tc Torrix for really weedy awkward waters,a 1lb 6oz Harrison Avon special for more normal situations,but i use a strong mainline,most rivers i fish today I have to land fish from where I hook them,not being able to get downstream to extricate them from weed and with barbel numbers down I just cannot afford to lose any because of inadequate tackle...just don't get as many these days sadly,it is a lot easier to catch carp.
    Last edited by whitty; 19-07-2019 at 04:37.

Blog Entries

When I started fishing for Barbel on the river Kennet back in 1975 (when I caught my first Barbel) my line was 8lb, and 10lb when the river was in in flood conditions, my rod was either a 1.5lb Tc Avon type rod which I had made myself or an old MKIV Carp rod (which had a 1¼lb test curve).

The Barbel we caught back then were usually from around 5lb up to 9lb plus with 7lb and 8lb fish caught regularly with about 1 in 10 fish a 9lb-er and with a couple of doubles up to around 12 or 13lb most years.

The Kennet back then was full of streamer weed and was a very healthy river; not the silted up relatively weedless river it’s turning into now in places.

Now I fish the smaller rivers in Herts and Beds which have even more Barbel in them (of a similar size) and I still usually use the same strength tackle (1.5lb & 1.7lb TC rods with 8lb line) and I’ve only been broken once in the last few years (when a Barbel ran around a tight bend in the river and the line parted on some tree roots).

Yes we do catch a few more double figure Barbel now but the average size of our Barbel is still around the same.

If I were fishing a much bigger and more powerful river with sharp rocks on the bottom then yes I would definately step up my tackle, but not on a small to mid sized gravel bottomed lowland river.

But I often still see people Carpbelling with Carp rigs and over strong lines and rods with very little give in them on the small to medium sized rivers, because they don’t really know any different.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 19-07-2019 at 13:23.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

I agree,both the rods I mentioned are all through rods,but the 1.75lb Torrix has enough grunt to stop BIG fish fairly quickly,I go to the D.Stour in a couple of weeks,ive been in contact with mates and the weed is mega,last year every second or third fish was a 12lber,they give awful problems if they get too deep in the ribbon weed present.

Digging through my tackle box and having a sort out reminded me of this thread.

Hook sizes they seem to vary quite a bit these days, also the sizes that are used seem bigger than ever. Some look like they could land a shark let alone a carp. Anyone think this has a relationship with the amount of fish especially carp that have messed up mouths ?

I have no doubt that is the case. Winching in any fish is unlikely to be a caring and forgiving tactic. I will stick to a size 12 as a maximum for any fish and if it isn't up to the task( unlikely in my case) then so be it.

I don't possess any course hooks bigger than a 12.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have no doubt that is the case. Winching in any fish is unlikely to be a caring and forgiving tactic. I will stick to a size 12 as a maximum for any fish and if it isn't up to the task( unlikely in my case) then so be it.

I’ve got up to a pack of size 6 but last time I actually used a 6 was in the 80’s for chub fishing.
    14’s and 12’s are my norm when fishing for anything bigger

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post

It depends very much how and what you are fishing for. Last week I was fishing with large chunks of anchored crust for carp, I was using size 4, a 12 would be lost in in a large bait and you would hardly hit a bite. I think small hooks are usually finer in the wire and for hook and hold tactics near snags are actually more likely to cause mouth damage than a larger more robust hook. Likewise I am going cat fishing soon and a size twelve would be next to useless on a fish with a mouth the size of a large bucket. In short, your hook size and tackle have to be suited to the conditions and target species and bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    Hook sizes they seem to vary quite a bit these days, also the sizes that are used seem bigger than ever. Some look like they could land a shark let alone a carp. Anyone think this has a relationship with the amount of fish especially carp that have messed up mouths ?
    Maybe, if the person who’s using them is inexperienced and using old style giant barbs on their hooks, or is not unhooking their fish properly or is using a cheapish stiff crane for a rod, or is just yanking his or her fish in. but modern hooks with Whisker barbs together with decent through action rods tends to alleviate some of these problems.

I use sizes from a size 12 up to a size 6 for Barbel Carp and Chub depending on the bait size that I’m using, and I even use a larger size 4 hook if I’m fishing a large piece of floating bread; and I can honestly say that I haven’t seen any mouth damage caused by me using larger hooks, apart from the normal hook entry wound which is minimal and normal.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 30-07-2019 at 20:18.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The size of hook alone makes very little difference to mouth damage.

The most common cause of mouth damage is at the point of unhooking by bad anglers ripping hooks out and thats the same for big or small hooks.

...witness the number of Roach or Rudd caught on popular venues that are missing a lip through anglers ripping small hooks out and taking half the fishes face with it.

Blog Entries

That's very true Philip,the only difference today is many anglers today do use much heavier tackle,so when booking smaller fish,lots of damage can be done,ie if someone used ten pound line,a strong hook for say tench,that is heavy gear for that species,unless they are very big,or conditions demand it,but if you book a feisty two pounder and don't give it an inch,mouth damage is likely,that's where experience is useful....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast