Truly compact folding chair

Jim Murray

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep looking but what I'm after possibly hasn't been made yet. Those cheap camping foldup chairs are great and I use one all the time for Winter piking, ie sat in one spot for most of the day and as it's always used I don't mind carrying it.

But the problem is carrying around a full chair for roving when it's used maybe 1/3 of the time. The cheap ones come in under a tenner so just think what could be achieved if you had a 70 quid version of a chair like that, truly compact, maybe telescoping legs and really light. I can only dream lol

mikench

Reaction score
If you get the Korum aeronium ultralite ( 2.3 kilos) chair and a ruck bag , the former clips to the latter.

It's very light.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Started to sort through my pile of fishing gear today, an embarressment of poverty however, came across these two chairs, the tripod one looks ideal, 3ft off the ground, folds up with a velcro strap and a strap for carrying over your back and padded feet, ideal for roving or on a bike I would imagine. Trouble is I dont know the make, the other one maybe not so good. Found 3 big sea fishing floats that I wanted so jolly good.

Jim Murray

Reaction score
That's not a bad shout but I'd need to see it in the flesh - doesn't look much smaller than the campers in that video

bennygesserit

Reaction score
My Chair arrived yesterday ( My tackle shop doesn't sell anything like it really )
Pics are here https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/bennygesserit-albums-chair.html
If you can't see them let me know

I would probably recommend it , its very very light ( < 3KG ) comfortable ( I'm 6 foot 5 and 16 stone ) and I sat in it all day
However

in its default setting its quite low
The back is leaning back at an angle ( that suits me )
It gets good rating on Amazon
The legs are extendable but you push in a tiny nipple ( oooer ) to pull the legs to a set of predefined heights
At the longest ( highest chair ) setting the legs wobble a bit in the hand but when you sit down there is no wobble
I imagine if a sat in the cahir and deliberately shook your self about you might have a problem
the mud feet are not very Wide

However as I said I used it all day and it was fine

20190710_175319 (1).jpg

john step

Reaction score
I have a JRC lightweight chair. Its OK for a short sit but the seating bit is very short. OK for little people.
The back leans too far backwards and I have doctored it.

The observation I would make with some of the previous suggestions is to be careful about those with individual small diameter legs and not to sit on soft banks. They sink !

Philip

Reaction score
I have a JRC lightweight chair. Its OK for a short sit but the seating bit is very short. OK for little people.
The back leans too far backwards and I have doctored it.

Not sure I would agree there John..I am 6'4 and although its quite narrow I dont find it too short. However its important to put it in perspective that its a light weight chair designed to be lugged about so there has to be some compromise on comfort v weight & size.
I do agree however that the rake is too far inclined back however and I also doctered mine to force it to sit more upright.

The other thing is its also amazingly robust for its weight. I totally abuse mine and its still working perfectly.

Talking of robustness ....

...Benny I would say the potential weak spot on your bison chair are those hinges at the bottom of the back rest were it joins the frame. I suspect that will not tolerate much "lateral" stress if I can put it like that. I can see those plates on the hinge bending over to the side quite easily. Obviously I hope I am wrong but I thought I would mention.

Let us know how it holds up !

7119d1562866516-truly-compact-folding-chair-20190710_175319-1-.jpg

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Not sure I would agree there John..I am 6'4 and although its quite narrow I dont find it too short. However its important to put it in perspective that its a light weight chair designed to be lugged about so there has to be some compromise on comfort v weight & size.
I do agree however that the rake is too far inclined back however and I also doctered mine to force it to sit more upright.

The other thing is its also amazingly robust for its weight. I totally abuse mine and its still working perfectly.

Talking of robustness ....

...Benny I would say the potential weak spot on your bison chair are those hinges at the bottom of the back rest were it joins the frame. I suspect that will not tolerate much "lateral" stress if I can put it like that. I can see those plates on the hinge bending over to the side quite easily. Obviously I hope I am wrong but I thought I would mention.

Let us know how it holds up !

I must admit I had a similar doubt - used it two or three times so far without issue , I did have a cheap tubular steel fold up one me once - nearly lost a thumb
the legs when fully extended seem a similar worry

If the hinges go it will be out with the drill and some wing nuts with possibly a wedge araldited to keep the back up as My Welding skills are zero and I am not convinced welding would be possible anyway

Will let you now though , but so far for the price I am really pleased with it

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Been using the chair for a while now - its very light and hasn't broken yet ( I am about 15 stone ATM )
in its default config its quite low - that suits me but with the legs fully out on front and back it doesn't look quite as sturdy but when you sit on it in that config you don't notice any wobble
That said I mostly fish with the back legs fully down and the front on the first or second stop

It hasn't ripped or suffered damage yet

Not sure the default setting is the best for ones posture but I manage to sit in it for 12 hours sessions without too many aches and niggles

It is absolutely very light and can cope with me - very good value 4 stars would recommend the product

rayner

Reaction score
JRC Xlite chair is the one I have, bought it for when I drop shot to keep my tackle at a minimum.
The only problem I found was the back was too laid back, I altered it by using cut pieces of plastic pipe under the back hinge to make it straighter. now it's fine.
I only use it when I fish paste with a short pole.